// CODE SNIPPET
713.11 Enclosure at the Bottom
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
Shafts that do not extend to the bottom of the building or structure shall comply with one of the following:
- They shall be enclosed at the lowest level with construction of the same fire-resistance rating as the lowest floor through which the shaft passes, but not less than the rating required for the shaft enclosure.
- They shall terminate in a room having a use related to the purpose of the shaft. The room shall be separated from the remainder of the building by fire barriers constructed in accordance with Section 707 or horizontal assemblies constructed in accordance with Section 711, or both. The fire-resistance rating and opening protectives shall be not less than the protection required for the shaft enclosure.
- They shall be protected by approved fire dampers installed in accordance with their listing at the lowest floor level within the shaft enclosure.
- The fire-resistance-rated room separation is not required, provided that the only openings in or penetrations of the shaft enclosure to the interior of the building occur at the bottom. The bottom of the shaft shall be closed off around the penetrating items with materials permitted by Section 718.3.1 for draftstopping, or the room shall be provided with an approved automatic sprinkler system.
- A shaft enclosure containing a waste or linen chute shall not be used for any other purpose and shall discharge in a room protected in accordance with Section 713.13.4.
- The fire-resistance-rated room separation and the protection at the bottom of the shaft are not required provided that there are no combustibles in the shaft and there are no openings or other penetrations through the shaft enclosure to the interior of the building.
Related Code Sections
713.11 Fire and Smoke Protection Features, Enclosure at the Bottom
Shafts that do not extend to the bottom of the building or structure shall comply with one of the following: They shall be enclosed at the lowest ...
Building Code 2018 of Illinois > 7 Fire and Smoke Protection Features > 713 Shaft Enclosures > 713.11 Enclosure at the Bottom
408.5 Equipment for General Use, Clearance for Conductor Entering Bus Enclosures
Where conduits or other raceways enter a switchboard, switchgear, floor-standing panelboard, or similar enclosure at the bottom, approved space shall ...
National Electrical Code 2017 of Illinois > 4 Equipment for General Use > 408 Switchboards, Switchgear, and Panelboards > 408.5 Clearance for Conductor Entering Bus Enclosures
(A) Wiring Methods and Materials, Size
for conductors operating at over 1000 volts. For handhole enclosures without bottoms where the provisions of 314.28(A)(2), Exception, or 314.71(B)(1 ...
National Electrical Code 2017 of Illinois > 3 Wiring Methods and Materials > 314 Outlet, Device, Pull, and Junction Boxes; Conduit Bodies; Fittings; And Handhole Enclosures > 314.30 Handhole Enclosures > (A) Size
555.5 Special Occupancies, Transformers
Transformers and enclosures shall be specifically approved for the intended location. The bottom of enclosures for transformers shall not be located ...
National Electrical Code 2017 of Illinois > 5 Special Occupancies > 555 Marinas, Boatyards, and Commercial and Noncommercial Docking Facilities > 555.5 Transformers
(A) Special Occupancies, Construction
persons. Where installed outdoors, the box shall be of weatherproof construction and mounted so that the bottom of the enclosure is not less than 150 ...
National Electrical Code 2017 of Illinois > 5 Special Occupancies > 525 Carnivals, Circuses, Fairs, and Similar Events > 525.22 Portable Distribution or Termination Boxes > (A) Construction