An enclosed elevator lobby shall be provided at each floor where an elevator shaft enclosure connects more than 3 stories. The lobby enclosure shall separate the elevator shaft enclosure doors from each floor by fire partitions. In addition to the requirements in Section 708 for fire partitions, doors protecting openings in the elevator lobby enclosure walls shall also be in compliance with Section 716.5.3 as required for corridor walls and penetrations of the elevator lobby enclosure by ducts and air transfer openings shall be protected as required for corridors in accordance with Section 7184.108.40.206. Elevator lobbies shall have at least 1 means of egress complying with chapter 10 and other provisions within this code.
- Enclosed elevator lobbies are not required at the level or levels of exit discharge provided the level or levels of exit discharge is equipped with an automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1.
- Elevators not required to be located in a shaft in accordance with Section 712.1 are not required to have enclosed elevator lobbies.
- Enclosed elevator lobbies are not required where additional doors are provided at the hoistway opening in accordance with Section 3002.6. The doors shall comply with the smoke and draft control door assembly requirements in section 7220.127.116.11 when tested in accordance with UL 1784 without an artificial bottom seal.
- Enclosed elevator lobbies are not required where
the building is protected by an automatic sprinkler
system installed in accordance with Section
902.2.1.1 or 903.3.1.2. This exception shall not
apply to all of the following:
- 4.1. Group I-2 occupancies.
- 4.2. Group I-3 occupancies.
- 4.3. Elevator serving floor levels over 55 feet
above the lowest level of fire department
vehicle access in high-rise buildings.
- Smoke partitions may be in place of fire partitions to separate the elevator lobby at each floor where the building is equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system installed in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1 or 903.3.1.2. In addition to the requirements in section 710 for smoke partitions, doors protecting openings in the smoke partitions shall also be in compliance with Sections 710.5.2.2, 710.5.2.3, and 716.5.9 and duct penetrations of the smoke partitions shall be protected as required for corridors in accordance with Section 718.104.22.168.
- Enclosed elevator lobbies are not required where the elevator hoistway is pressurized in accordance with Section 909.21.
- Enclosed elevator lobbies are not required where the elevator serves only open parking garages in accordance with Section 406.5.