In order to be considered part of an accessible means of egress, an elevator shall comply with the emergency operation and signaling device requirements of Section 2.27 of ASME A17.1/CSA B44. Standby power shall be provided in accordance with Chapter 27 and Section 3003. The elevator shall be accessed from an area of refuge complying with Section 1009.6.
- Areas of refuge are not required at the elevator in open parking garages.
- Areas of refuge are not required in buildings and facilities equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system installed in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1 or 903.3.1.2.
- Areas of refuge are not required at elevators not required to be located in a shaft in accordance with Section 712.
- Areas of refuge are not required at elevators serving smoke-protected assembly seating areas complying with Section 1029.6.2.
- Areas of refuge are not required for elevators accessed from a refuge area in conjunction with a horizontal exit.