An enclosed elevator lobby shall be provided at each floor where an elevator shaft enclosure connects more than three stories. The lobby enclosure shall separate the elevator shaft enclosure doors from each floor by fire partitions. In addition to the requirements in Section 708 for fire partitions, doors protecting openings in the elevator lobby enclosure walls shall also comply with Section 716.5.3 as required for corridor walls and penetrations of the elevator lobby enclosure by ducts and air transfer openings shall be protected as required for corridors in accordance with Section 722.214.171.124. Elevator lobbies shall have at least one means of egress complying with Chapter 10 and other provisions within this code.
- Enclosed elevator lobbies are not required at the level(s) of exit discharge, provided the level(s) of exit discharge is equipped with an automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1.
- Elevators not required to be located in a shaft in accordance with Section 712.1 are not required to have enclosed elevator lobbies.
- Enclosed elevator lobbies are not required where additional doors are provided at the hoistway opening in accordance with Section 3002.6. Such doors shall comply with the smoke and draft control door assembly requirements in Section 7126.96.36.199 when tested in accordance with UL 1784 without an artificial bottom seal.
- Enclosed elevator lobbies are not required where the building is protected by an automatic sprinkler system installed in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1 or 903.3.1.2. This exception shall not apply to the following:
- Group I-2 occupancies;
- Group I-3 occupancies; and
- Elevators serving floor levels over 75 feet (22 860 mm) above the lowest level of fire department vehicle access in high-rise buildings.
- Smoke partitions shall be permitted in lieu of fire partitions to separate the elevator lobby at each floor where the building is equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system installed in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1 or 903.3.1.2. In addition to the requirements in Section 710 for smoke partitions, doors protecting openings in the smoke partitions shall also comply with Sections 710.5.2.2, 710.5.2.3, and 716.5.9 and duct penetrations of the smoke partitions shall be protected as required for corridors in accordance with Section 7188.8.131.52.
- Enclosed elevator lobbies are not required where the elevator hoistway is pressurized in accordance with Section 909.21.
- Enclosed elevator lobbies are not required where the elevator serves only open parking garages in accordance with Section 406.5.