// CODE SNIPPET
1010.1.9.9 Electromagnetically Locked Egress Doors
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
Doors in the means of egress in buildings with an occupancy in Group A, B, E, I-1, I-2, I-4, M, R-1 or R-2 and doors to tenant spaces in Group A, B, E, I-1, I-2, I-4, M, R-1 or R-2 shall be permitted to be locked with an electromagnetic locking system where equipped with hardware that incorporates a built-in switch and where installed and operated in accordance with all of the following:
- The hardware that is affixed to the door leaf has an obvious method of operation that is readily operated under all lighting conditions.
- The hardware is capable of being operated with one hand.
- Operation of the hardware directly interrupts the power to the electromagnetic lock and unlocks the door immediately.
- Loss of power to the locking system automatically unlocks the door.
- Where panic or fire exit hardware is required by Section 1010.1.10, operation of the panic or fire exit hardware also releases the electromagnetic lock.
- The locking system units shall be listed in accordance with UL 294.