5.2.1 Electric Limited-Use/Limited-Application Elevators
(a) Requirement 188.8.131.52.1. If a floor is provided, it shall be permitted to be wood.
(b) Requirement 184.108.40.206 does not apply. The floor shall be designed in accordance with other floors in the building. Where the machine is to be supported by the machine room floor, the floor shall be designed in accordance with 2.9.4 and 2.9.5.
(c) Requirement 220.127.116.11. The floor shall be permitted to be of wood.
The location and guarding of counterweights shall conform to Section 2.3, except as follows: Where counterweight guards conforming to 2.3.2 are not provided, lightweight chains, approximately 600 mm (24 in.) long shall be attached to the bottom of the counterweight. These chains shall be spaced at 150 mm (6 in.) intervals to provide a warning to a person in the path of the descending counterweight.
(a) It shall hold the car at a height not less than 900 mm (35 in.) nor more than 2000 mm (79 in.) above the pit floor and not less than 300 mm (12 in.) above the bottom landing sill, as measured from the underside of the car platform.
(b) The means shall be designed and constructed to stop and hold the car at governor tripping speed with rated load in the car.
(d) If the means does not automatically activate when the lowest hoistway door is opened with the car not at the landing
(1) it shall be capable of being operated without complete bodily entry into the pit.
(2) a sign conforming to ANSI Z535.2, ANSI Z535.4, or CAN/CSA-Z321, whichever is applicable (see Part 9), shall be conspicuously displayed inside the hoistway, which shall include a warning that there is an insufficient bottom car clearance and instructions for operating the device. The letters shall be not less than 25 mm (1 in.) in height. The sign shall be made of a durable material and shall be securely fastened.
(a) When the car has reached its maximum upper movement, no part of the car or any equipment attached thereto, other than as permitted by (b), shall strike the overhead structure or any part of the equipment located in the hoistway.
(b) Nonremovable means, independent of the brake, shall be provided to mechanically and electrically prevent upward movement of the car to provide an area above the car for maintenance and inspection, conforming to the following:
(1) The means shall prevent upward movement of the car to provide a space complying with 18.104.22.168.5.
(2) The means shall be designed and constructed to stop upward movement of the car at governor tripping speed with and without rated load in the car.
(4) A sign conforming to ANSI Z535.2, ANSI Z535.4, or CAN/CSA-Z321, whichever is applicable (see Part 9), shall be conspicuously displayed inside the hoistway, which shall include a warning that there is insufficient top car clearance and instructions for operating the means. The letters shall be not less than 25 mm (1 in.) in height. The sign shall be made of a durable material and shall be securely fastened.
(5) The means shall be capable of being operated without complete bodily entry into the hoistway.
(6) The force to actuate the means shall not require more than 90 N (20 lbf).
(7) The top-of-car operating device shall not allow car movement until the means is actuated.
(a) An unobstructed horizontal area not less than 0.5 m2 (5.4 ft2) shall be provided on top of the car enclosure. It shall measure not less than 600 mm (24 in.) on any side. This area shall be permitted to include the space used for the top emergency exit [see 22.214.171.124.1(f)]. The minimum vertical distance in the space between the top of the car enclosure and the overhead structure or other obstruction shall be not less than 1100 mm (43 in.) when the car has reached its maximum upward movement.
(b) Any horizontal area above the car enclosure top and within the railing, if supplied, that could contain a circle with a diameter equal to or greater than 350 mm (14 in.) that does not have a vertical clearance of 1100 mm (43 in.) when the car has reached its maximum upward movement shall be clearly marked. The marking shall consist of alternating 50 mm (2 in.) diagonal red and white stripes. In addition, when markings are provided, sign(s) with the words "DANGER LOW CLEARANCE" shall be prominently posted and shall be visible from the hoistway entrance(s). The sign(s) shall
(1) conform to the requirements of ANSI Z535.4 or CAN/CSA-Z321 (see Part 9)
(2) be made of durable material and be securely fastened
NOTE: See 126.96.36.199.2 for floors of machine rooms and machinery spaces over or at the top of a hoistway.
The protection of hoistway landing openings shall conform to Section 2.11, except as modified by the following:
(a) Requirement 2.11.2. Entrances shall be the horizontal slide or single-section swing type.
(b) Requirement 188.8.131.52 does not apply.
(c) Requirement 2.11.12 does not apply.
(d) Requirement 184.108.40.206 does not apply.
(e) Requirement 220.127.116.11 does not apply.
(b) Requirement 18.104.22.168(a). Truck zoning devices are not permitted.
(c) Requirement 2.12.3 does not apply.
(d) Requirement 22.214.171.124.3(b). The car cannot be operated at a speed greater than 0.15 m/s (30 ft/min).
(a) Requirement 126.96.36.199. Cars shall not have more than one compartment.
(c) Requirement 188.8.131.52.1(c) does not apply. Equipment mounted to the car for freight handling shall not be permitted.
(d) Requirement 2.14.3 does not apply.
(f) Requirement 184.108.40.206 does not apply.
(g) Requirement 220.127.116.11 does not apply.
(h) Requirement 18.104.22.168 does not apply.
(i) Requirement 22.214.171.124(b) does not apply.
(j) Requirement 126.96.36.199 does not apply. There shall not be more than two entrances to the car.
(k) Requirement 188.8.131.52 does not apply.
(a) Requirement 184.108.40.206(b) does not apply. The tripping speed shall not exceed 0.38 m/s (75 ft/min]. On the breakage of the suspension means, the safety shall operate without delay and independently of the governor's speed action.
(b) Requirement 2.18.4 does not apply.