1006.2 Egress From Spaces
Two exits or exit access doorways from any space shall be provided where the design occupant load or the common path of egress travel distance exceeds the values listed in Table 1006.2.1. The cumulative occupant load from adjacent rooms, areas or spaces shall be determined in accordance with Section 1004.2.
- The number of exits from foyers, lobbies, vestibules or similar spaces need not be based on cumulative occupant loads for areas discharging through such spaces, but the capacity of the exits from such spaces shall be based on applicable cumulative occupant loads.
- Care suites in Group I-2 occupancies complying with Section 407.4.
LOAD OF SPACE
|MAXIMUM COMMON PATH OF EGRESS TRAVEL DISTANCE (feet)|
|Without Sprinkler System
|With Sprinkler System
|OL ≤ 30||OL > 30|
|Ac, E, M||49||75||75||75a|
|H-1, H-2, H-3||3||NP||NP||25b|
|I-1, I-2d, I-4||10||NP||NP||75a|
For SI: 1 foot = 304.8 mm.
NP = Not Permitted.
- Buildings equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1 or 903.3.1.2. See Section 903 for occupancies where automatic sprinkler systems are permitted in accordance with Section 903.3.1.2.
- Group H occupancies equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.2.5.
- For a room or space used for assembly purposes having fixed seating, see Section 1029.8.
- For the travel distance limitations in Group I-2, see Section 407.4.
- The common path of egress travel distance shall only apply in a Group R-3 occupancy located in a mixed occupancy building.
- The length of common path of egress travel distance in a Group S-2 open parking garage shall be not more than 100 feet.
- For the travel distance limitations in Groups R-3 and R-4 equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.3, see Section 1006.2.2.6.
Machinery rooms larger than 1,000 square feet (93 m2) shall have not less than two exits or exit access doorways. Where two exit access doorways are required, one such doorway is permitted to be served by a fixed ladder or an alternating tread device. Exit access doorways shall be separated by a horizontal distance equal to one-half the maximum horizontal dimension of the room.
Rooms or spaces having a floor area larger than 1,000 square feet (93 m2), containing a refrigerant evaporator and maintained at a temperature below 68°F (20°C), shall have access to not less than two exits or exit access doorways.
Exit access travel distance shall be determined as specified in Section 1017.1, but all portions of a refrigerated room or space shall be within 150 feet (45 720 mm) of an exit or exit access doorway where such rooms are not protected by an approved automatic sprinkler system. Egress is allowed through adjoining refrigerated rooms or spaces.
Exception: Where using refrigerants in quantities limited to the amounts based on the volume set forth in the International Mechanical Code.