184.108.40.206.1 Earthquake Equipment (See Also Fig. 220.127.116.11.1 and Table 18.104.22.168.1)
Table 22.214.171.124.1 Visual Indication Matrix
|Earthquake Phase of Operation||Earthquake Mode Indication||Slow-Speed Operation Indication||Earthquake Status Indication|
|Seismic switch actuation||Flashing||Off||On|
|Seismic detection device reset; waiting for slow-scan initiation||Flashing||Flashing||On|
|Scan initiated or in progress||Flashing||On||On|
|Scan complete; waiting to initiate slow-speed operation||On||Flashing||On|
|Slow-speed operation active||On||On||On|
|Counterweight displacement detection device actuation||On||Off||Flashing|
(b) There shall be at least one seismic detection device per elevator group. Where a group contains a mix of elevators, some with nonvolatile memory and some with only volatile memory, at least one seismic detection device shall be provided for each type of elevator. Elevators in risk zone 2, or Fp < 0.5Wp with z/h = 1 (for IBC) or hx/hn = 1 (for NBCC) (see 126.96.36.199), are exempt from this requirement.
(d) An identified momentary reset button or switch shall be provided for each elevator. Actuation of the momentary switch shall terminate earthquake mode [see 188.8.131.52.5(f)]. The switch shall be located outside the hoistway in the inspection and test panel or in the controller enclosure in a control room, a control space, the machine room, a machinery space, or a motor controller complying with 184.108.40.206.2 for the elevator. The lock shall be Group 1 Security.
(1) a Group 3 Security spring-loaded key switch labeled "EARTHQUAKE HOISTWAY SCAN" with positions marked "INITIATE" and "OFF." Lettering shall be a minimum 5 mm (0.25 in.) in height.
(2) a visual indicator labeled or displaying "EARTHQUAKE SLOW SPEED."
In elevators with more than one car operating panel, only one car operating panel is required to have the switch and indication.
NOTE: For display/labeling purposes, "EQ" may be substituted for the word "EARTHQUAKE."
(f) A visual indication labeled or displaying "EARTHQUAKE MODE" shall be provided in the car operating panel.
(g) An alphanumeric variable message display panel may be provided in the elevator car operating panel, instead of the indicators required in 220.127.116.11.1(e) and (f), to provide the functions specified for the visual indications in 18.104.22.168.3 and 22.214.171.124.4. In elevators with more than one car operating panel, only one car operating panel is required to have the variable message display.
(h) A visual indication labeled "SEISMIC STATUS" (see Table 126.96.36.199.1) shall be provided on or adjacent to each inspection station (see 188.8.131.52.1).
(i) An audible signaling device shall be provided. It shall be actuated from a momentary switch identified as "ALARM," which shall be provided in each car operating panel. The audible signaling device shall be permitted to be used for a group of elevators. The audible signaling device shall
(1) have a rated sound pressure rating of not less than 80 dBA and not more than 90 dBA at 3 m (10 ft)
(2) respond without delay after the switch has been actuated
(3) be labeled in accordance with 184.108.40.206
(4) be located inside the building and audible inside the car and outside the hoistway
(6) remain operable during a failure of the normal building power supply. The power source shall be capable of providing for the continuous operation of the audible signaling device(s) for at least 1 h.