// CODE SNIPPET
M1601.3 Duct Insulation Materials
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
Duct insulation materials shall conform to the following requirements:
- The flame spread index is not greater than 25 and the smoke-developed index is not greater than 450 at the specified installed thickness.
- The foam plastic is protected in accordance with the ignition barrier requirements of Sections R316.5.3 and R316.5.4.
- The foam plastic complies with the requirements of Section R316.
- Duct coverings and linings shall not flame, glow, smolder or smoke when tested in accordance with ASTM C411 at the temperature to which they are exposed in service. The test temperature shall not fall below 250°F (121°C). Coverings and linings shall be listed and labeled.
- External reflective duct insulation shall be legibly printed or identified at intervals not greater than 36 inches (914 mm) with the name of the manufacturer, the product R-value at the specified installed thickness and the flame spread and smoke-developed indices. The installed thickness of the external duct insulation shall include the enclosed air space(s). The product R-value for external reflective duct insulation shall be determined in accordance with ASTM C1668.
- 4.1. For duct board, duct liner and factory-made rigid ducts not normally subjected to compression, the nominal insulation thickness shall be used.
- 4.2. For ductwrap, the installed thickness shall be assumed to be 75 percent (25-percent compression) of nominal thickness.
- 4.3. For factory-made flexible air ducts, The installed thickness shall be determined by dividing the difference between the actual outside diameter and nominal inside diameter by two.
- 4.4. For spray polyurethane foam, the aged R-value per inch measured in accordance with recognized industry standards shall be provided to the customer in writing at the time of foam application. In addition, the total R-value for the nominal application thickness shall be provided.
Related Code Sections
M1601.3 Duct Systems, Duct Insulation Materials
Duct insulation materials shall conform to the following requirements: Duct coverings and linings, including adhesives where used, shall have ...
Residential Code 2018 of Kansas > 16 Duct Systems > M1601 Duct Construction > M1601.3 Duct Insulation Materials
Section 604 Duct Systems, Insulation
and smoke-developed indices of the composite materials. Duct insulation product R -values shall be based on insulation only, excluding air films, vapor ...
M1407.2 Heating and Cooling Equipment and Appliances, Installation
heaters listed and labeled for zero clearance to combustible materials. Insulation installed in the immediate area of each heater shall be classified ...
Residential Code 2018 of Kansas > 14 Heating and Cooling Equipment and Appliances > M1407 Duct Heaters > M1407.2 Installation
720.1 Fire and Smoke Protection Features, General
Insulating materials shall comply with the requirements of this section. Where a flame spread index or a smoke-developed index is specified ...
Building Code 2018 of Kansas > 7 Fire and Smoke Protection Features > 720 Thermal- And Sound-Insulating Materials > 720.1 General
506.3.1 Exhaust Systems, Duct Materials
Ducts serving Type I hoods shall be constructed of materials in accordance with Sections 506.3.1.1 and 506.3.1.2 ...
Mechanical Code 2018 of Kansas > 5 Exhaust Systems > 506 Commercial Kitchen Hood Ventilation System Ducts and Exhaust Equipment > 506.3 Ducts Serving Type I Hoods > 506.3.1 Duct Materials