184.108.40.206.2 Driving Machines: General Requirements
(a) Types of Driving Means. The driving means shall be one of the following types:
(2) winding drum (see 220.127.116.11.3)
(4) roped-hydraulic (see 5.3.2)
(5) screw machine (see 18.104.22.168.4)
(6) chain drive
(7) chain-hydraulic (see 5.3.2)
(b) Material for Sheaves and Drums and Minimum Diameter
(1) Winding drums, traction sheaves, and overhead and deflecting sheaves shall be metal and the pitch diameter shall be not less than one of the following:
(-a) 30 times the diameter of the wire suspension means
(c) Fastening of Driving Machines and Sheaves to the Underside of Overhead Beams
(1) Overhead driving machines or sheaves shall not be fastened to the underside of the supporting beams, except for idlers or deflecting sheaves including their guards and frames.
(2) Cast iron in tension shall not be used for supporting idler and deflecting sheaves where they are hung beneath the beams.
(d) Fastenings Transmitting Load. Fasteners transmitting load shall conform to 2.24.4.
(e) Friction Gearing, Clutch Mechanisms, or Couplings. Friction gearings or clutch mechanisms shall not be used for connecting the drum or drive sheave to the main drive gear. Couplings shall not be used for connecting the output shaft to the main drive gear.
(f) Use of Cast Iron in Gears. Worm gearing having cast iron teeth shall not be used.
(h) Driving-Machine Brakes. Driving machines, except hydraulic driving machines, shall be equipped with electrically released, mechanically applied brakes conforming to 2.24.8. The operation of the brake shall conform to 2.26.8.
(1) It shall not be accessible from inside the car.
(2) It shall not release the brake.
(3) Upon removal of the device, the car shall not move.
(4) The device shall be actuated by mechanical means only.
(j) Car-Top-Mounted Machine or Controller. Where the machine or its controls are located on top of the car
(1) they shall be protected by a solid, noncombustible enclosure.