// CODE SNIPPET
701.2 Drainage Piping
Jump To Full Code Chapter
Materials for drainage piping shall be in accordance with one of the referenced standards in Table 701.2 except that:
- No galvanized wrought-iron or galvanized steel pipe shall be used underground and shall be kept not less than 6 inches (152 mm) aboveground.
- ABS and PVC DWV piping installations shall be installed in accordance with applicable standards referenced in Table 701.2 and Chapter 14 "Firestop Protection." Except for individual single-family dwelling units, materials exposed within ducts or plenums shall have a flame-spread index of not more than 25 and a smoke-developed index of not more than 50, where tested in accordance with ASTM E84 or UL 723. Plastic piping installed in plenums shall be tested in accordance with all requirements of ASTM E84 or UL 723. Mounting methods, supports and sample sizes of materials for testing that are not specified in ASTM E84 or UL 723 shall be prohibited.
- No vitrified clay pipe or fittings shall be used aboveground or where pressurized by a pump or ejector. They shall be kept not less than 12 inches (305 mm) belowground.
- Copper or copper alloy tube for drainage and vent piping shall have a weight of not less than that of copper or copper alloy drainage tube type DWV.
- Stainless steel 304 pipe and fittings shall not be installed underground and shall be kept not less than 6 inches (152 mm) aboveground.
- Cast-iron soil pipe and fittings and the stainless steel couplings used to join these products shall be listed and tested in accordance with standards referenced in Table 701.2. Such pipe and fittings shall be marked with the country of origin, manufacturer's name or registered trademark as defined in the product standards, the third party certifier's mark, and the class of the pipe or fitting.
|MATERIAL||UNDERGROUND DRAIN, WASTE, VENT PIPE AND FITTINGS||ABOVEGROUND DRAIN, WASTE, VENT PIPE AND FITTINGS||BUILDING SEWER PIPE AND FITTINGS||REFERENCED STANDARD(S) PIPE||REFERENCED STANDARD(S) FITTINGS|
|ABS (Schedule 40)||X||X||X||ASTM D2661, ASTM D2680*||ASME A112.4.4, ASTM D2661, ASTM D2680*|
|Cast-Iron||X||X||X||ASTM A74, ASTM A888, CISPI 301||ASME B16.12, ASTM A74, ASTM A888, CISPI 301|
|Co-Extruded ABS (Schedule 40)||X||X||X||ASTM F628||ASME A112.4.4, ASTM D2661, ASTM D2680*|
|Co-Extruded Composite (Schedule 40)||X||X||X||ASTM F1488||ASME A112.4.4, ASTM D2661, ASTM D2665, ASTM F794*, ASTM F1866|
|Co-Extruded PVC (Schedule 40)||X||X||X||ASTM F891, ASTM F1760||ASME A112.4.4, ASTM D2665, ASTM F794*, ASTM F1336*, ASTM F1866|
|Copper and Copper Alloys (Type DWV)||X||X||X||ASTM B43, ASTM B75, ASTM B251, ASTM B302, ASTM B306||ASME B16.23, ASME B16.29|
|Galvanized Malleable Iron||—||X||—||—||ASME B16.3|
|Galvanized Steel||—||X||—||ASTM A53||—|
|Polyethylene||—||—||X||ASTM F714, ASTM F894||—|
|PVC (Schedule 40)||X||X||X||ASTM D1785, ASTM D2665, ASTM F794*||ASME A112.4.4, ASTM D2665, ASTM F794*, ASTM F1866|
|PVC (Sewer and Drain)||—||—||X||ASTM D2729||ASTM D2729|
|PVC PSM||—||—||X||ASTM D3034||ASTM D3034|
|Stainless Steel 304||—||X||—||ASME A112.3.1||ASME A112.3.1|
|Stainless Steel 316L||X||X||X||ASME A112.3.1||ASME A112.3.1|
|Vitrified Clay (Extra strength)||—||—||X||ASTM C700||ASTM C700|
* For building sewer applications.
Related Code Sections
701.2 Sanitary Drainage, Drainage Piping
Materials for drainage piping shall be in accordance with one of the referenced standards in Table 701.2 except that: No galvanized wrought-iron ...
703.0 Sanitary Drainage, Size of Drainage Piping
The minimum sizes of vertical, horizontal, or both drainage piping shall be determined from the total of fixture units connected thereto ...
905.2 Vents, Horizontal Drainage Pipe
Where vents connect to a horizontal drainage pipe, each vent pipe shall have its invert taken off above the drainage centerline of such pipe ...
P3005.3 Sanitary Drainage, Horizontal Drainage Piping Slope
Horizontal drainage piping shall be installed in uniform alignment at uniform slopes not less than 1/4 unit vertical in 12 units horizontal (2 ...
704.2 Sanitary Drainage, Single Vertical Drainage Pipe
vertical drainage pipe provided that each fixture wastes separately into an approved double-fixture fitting having inlet openings at the same level ...