For the following buildings, signs shall be posted and maintained on exit stair doors in accordance with this section:
- Buildings or portions thereof occupied by Group B or arranged to be occupied by more than 100 persons above or below the street level or more than 500 persons in the entire building.
- High-rise buildings subject to Section 403.
- Buildings where any stair side door is locked pursuant to Section 1008.1.9.10.
On the stair side, signs shall be posted and maintained at all stair doors at every floor. Such signs shall be either:
- Reentry. Where reentry is provided, a sign shall read, "REENTRY ON THIS FLOOR."
- No reentry. Where reentry is not provided on that floor, the sign shall read:
- "NO REENTRY"; where reentry is not provided on any floor;
- "NO REENTRY, NEAREST REENTRY ON THE AND FLOORS"; where reentry is provided on other floors; and
- "NO REENTRY. REENTRY IS PROVIDED ONLY DURING FIRE EMERGENCIES. NEAREST TELEPHONE ON THE AND FLOORS"; where stair side doors are locked in accordance with Section 403.5.3.
The lettering and numerals of the signs shall be at least 1/2 inch (12.7 mm) high of bold type. The lettering and background shall be contrasting colors and the signs shall be securely attached approximately 5 feet (1524 mm) above the floor. The signs may be either independent or combined with floor and stairway identification signs.