Fire doors shall be latching and self- or automatic-closing in accordance with this section.
- Fire doors located in common walls separating sleeping units in Group R-1 shall be permitted without automatic- or self-closing devices.
- The elevator car doors and the associated hoist-way enclosure doors at the floor level designated for recall in accordance with Section 3003.2 shall be permitted to remain open during Phase I emergency recall operation.
Chute intake doors shall be positive latching, remaining latched and closed in the event of latch spring failure during a fire emergency.
Automatic-closing doors installed in the following locations shall be automatic-closing by the actuation of smoke detectors installed in accordance with Section 907.3 or by loss of power to the smoke detector or hold-open device. Doors that are automatic-closing by smoke detection shall not have more than a 10-second delay before the door starts to close after the smoke detector is actuated:
- Doors installed across a corridor.
- Doors installed in the enclosures of exit access stairways and ramps in accordance with Sections 1019 and 1023, respectively.
- Doors that protect openings in exits or corridors required to be of fire-resistance-rated construction.
- Doors that protect openings in walls that are capable of resisting the passage of smoke in accordance with Section 509.4.
- Doors installed in smoke barriers in accordance with Section 709.5.
- Doors installed in fire partitions in accordance with Section 708.6.
- Doors installed in a fire wall in accordance with Section 706.8.
- Doors installed in shaft enclosures in accordance with Section 713.7.
- Doors installed in waste and linen chutes, discharge openings and access and discharge rooms in accordance with Section 713.13. Loading doors installed in waste and linen chutes shall meet the requirements of Sections 716.5.9 and 7188.8.131.52.1.
- Doors installed in the walls for compartmentation of underground buildings in accordance with Section 405.4.2.
- Doors installed in the elevator lobby walls of underground buildings in accordance with Section 405.4.3.
- Doors installed in smoke partitions in accordance with Section 710.5.2.3.