Where domestic range hoods and domestic appliances equipped with downdraft exhaust are provided, such hoods and appliances shall discharge to the outdoors through sheet metal ducts constructed of galvanized steel, stainless steel, aluminum or copper. Such ducts shall have smooth inner walls, shall be air tight, shall be equipped with a backdraft damper, and shall be independent of all other exhaust systems.
- In other than Group I-1 and I-2, where installed in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions and where mechanical or natural ventilation is otherwise provided in accordance with Chapter 4, listed and labeled ductless range hoods shall not be required to discharge to the outdoors.
- Ducts for domestic kitchen cooking appliances equipped with downdraft exhaust systems shall be permitted to be constructed of Schedule 40 PVC pipe and fittings provided that the installation complies with all of the following:
- The duct shall be installed under a concrete slab poured on grade.
- The underfloor trench in which the duct is installed shall be completely backfilled with sand or gravel.
- The PVC duct shall extend not more than 1 inch (25 mm) above the indoor concrete floor surface.
- The PVC duct shall extend not more than 1 inch (25 mm) above grade outside of the building.
- The PVC ducts shall be solvent cemented.