// CODE SNIPPET
P2904.4 Determining System Design Flow
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
The minimum required flow for each sprinkler shall be determined using the sprinkler manufacturer's published data for the specific sprinkler model based on all of the following:
- The area of coverage.
- The ceiling configuration.
- The temperature rating.
- Any additional conditions specified by the sprinkler manufacturer.
The design flow rate for the system shall be based on the following:
- The design flow rate for a room having only one sprinkler shall be the flow rate required for that sprinkler, as determined by Section P2904.4.1.
- The design flow rate for a room having two or more sprinklers a shall be determined by identifying the sprinkler in that room with the highest required flow rate, based on Section P2904.4.1, and multiplying that flow rate by 2.
- Where the sprinkler manufacturer specifies different criteria for ceiling configurations that are not smooth, flat and horizontal, the required flow rate for that room shall comply with the sprinkler manufacturer's instructions.
- The design flow rate for the sprinkler system shall be the flow required by the room with the largest flow rate, based on Items 1, 2 and 3.
- For the purpose of this section, it shall be permissible to reduce the design flow rate for a room by subdividing the space into two or more rooms, where each room is evaluated separately with respect to the required design flow rate. Each room shall be bounded by walls and a ceiling. Openings in walls shall have a lintel not less than 8 inches (203 mm) in depth and each lintel shall form a solid barrier between the ceiling and the top of the opening.
Related Code Sections
P2904.4 Water Supply and Distribution, Determining System Design Flow
for the system shall be based on the following: The design flow rate for a room having only one sprinkler shall be the flow rate required ...
Residential Code 2018 of Kansas > 29 Water Supply and Distribution > P2904 Dwelling Unit Fire Sprinkler Systems > P2904.4 Determining System Design Flow
1611.3 Structural Design, Controlled Drainage
design flow determined from Section 1611.1. Such roofs shall be checked for ponding instability in accordance with Section 1611.2 ...
403.3.1.1.2 Ventilation, System Outdoor Airflow
The outdoor air required to be supplied by each ventilation system shall be determined in accordance with Sections 403.3.1.1.2.1 through ...
Mechanical Code 2018 of Kansas > 4 Ventilation > 403 Mechanical Ventilation > 403.3 Outdoor Air and Local Exhaust Airflow Rates > 403.3.1 Other Buildings Intended to Be Occupied > 403.3.1.1 Outdoor Airflow Rate > 403.3.1.1.2 System Outdoor Airflow
5004.2.2.6 Hazardous Materials—General Provisions, Drainage System Design
of the fire protection water as determined by the design density discharged from the automatic fire-extinguishing system over the minimum required ...
Fire Code 2018 of Kansas > 50 Hazardous Materials—General Provisions > 5004 Storage > 5004.2 Spill Control and Secondary Containment for Liquid and Solid Hazardous Materials > 5004.2.2 Secondary Containment for Hazardous Material Liquids and Solids > 5004.2.2.6 Drainage System Design