// CODE SNIPPET
R112.2.1 Determination of Substantial Improvement in Flood Hazard Areas
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
When the building official provides a finding required in Section R188.8.131.52, the board of appeals shall determine whether the value of the proposed work constitutes a substantial improvement. A substantial improvement means any repair, reconstruction, rehabilitation, addition or improvement of a building or structure, the cost of which equals or exceeds 50 percent of the market value of the building or structure before the improvement or repair is started. If the building or structure has sustained substantial damage, all repairs are considered substantial improvement regardless of the actual repair work performed. The term does not include:
- Improvements of a building or structure required to correct existing health, sanitary or safety code violations identified by the building official and which are the minimum necessary to assure safe living conditions; or
- Any alteration of an historic building or structure, provided that the alteration will not preclude the continued designation as an historic building or structure. For the purpose of this exclusion, an historic building is:
- Listed or preliminarily determined to be eligible for listing in the National Register of Historic Places; or
- Determined by the Secretary of the U.S. Department of Interior as contributing to the historical significance of a registered historic district or a district preliminarily determined to qualify as an historic district; or
- Designated as historic under a state or local historic preservation program that is approved by the Department of Interior.
Related Code Sections
R112.2.1 Scope and Administration, Determination of Substantial Improvement in Flood Hazard Areas
of the proposed work constitutes a substantial improvement. A substantial improvement means any repair, reconstruction, rehabilitation, addition or improvement ...
Residential Code 2012 of South Holland, IL > 1 Scope and Administration > R112 Board of Appeals > R112.2 Limitations on Authority > R112.2.1 Determination of Substantial Improvement in Flood Hazard Areas
R184.108.40.206 Scope and Administration, Determination of Substantially Improved or Substantially Damaged Existing Buildings in Flood Hazard Areas
For applications for reconstruction, rehabilitation, addition or other improvement of existing buildings or structures located in a flood hazard ...
Residential Code 2012 of South Holland, IL > 1 Scope and Administration > R105 Permits > R105.3 Application for Permit > R105.3.1 Action on Application > R220.127.116.11 Determination of Substantially Improved or Substantially Damaged Existing Buildings in Flood Hazard Areas
104.10.1 Scope and Administration, Flood Hazard Areas
For existing buildings located in flood hazard areas for which repairs , alterations and additions constitute substantial improvement ...
Existing Building Code 2012 of South Holland, IL > 1 Scope and Administration > 104 Duties and Powers of Code Official > 104.10 Modifications > 104.10.1 Flood Hazard Areas
3409.2 Existing Buildings and Structures, Flood Hazard Areas
Within flood hazard areas established in accordance with Section 1612.3, where the work proposed constitutes substantial improvement as defined ...
Building Code 2012 of South Holland, IL > 34 Existing Buildings and Structures > 3409 Historic Buildings > 3409.2 Flood Hazard Areas
1201.4 Historic Buildings, Flood Hazard Areas
In flood hazard areas , if all proposed work, including repairs, work required because of a change of occupancy , and alterations , constitutes ...
Existing Building Code 2012 of South Holland, IL > 12 Historic Buildings > 1201 General > 1201.4 Flood Hazard Areas