(a) Scope. These rules are to be considered as supplemental to and not in substitution of all applicable provisions of the Building Code. (Where provisions of these rules differ from provisions of the Building Code, the more restrictive requirements shall apply.)
ASTM. American Society for Testing and Materials.
CS. Commercial Standards of the United States Department of Commerce National Bureau of Standards.
PVC. Polyvinyl Chloride.
(1) The use of plastic pipe and fittings for plumbing systems shall be limited to drain, waste and vent lines and water service piping for and in buildings of three stories or less in height as set forth under Sections P102.2b and P102.4 of RS 16 of the Building Code of the City of New York.
(2) Connections between fixtures, traps and drain of waste lines shall be by metal pipe and metal fittings only.
(d) Physical and chemical requirements of material. The physical and chemical properties of all pipe and fittings shall comply with the requirements of Commercial Standards CS272-65 of the United States Department of Commerce National Bureau of Standards for Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) pipe and fittings, and of CS270-65 for Acrylonitrile-Butadiene-Styrene (ABS) pipe and fittings and shall be approved by the Board.
(1) Applicants for approval of PVC or ABS pipe or fittings shall submit certified test reports from an independent testing laboratory satisfactory to the Board, which reports shall show that the material has been tested as follows:
(2) Pipe and fittings shall be tested in accordance with the test procedures as set forth in CS272-65 for PVC pipe and fittings or in CS270-65 for ABS pipe and fittings.
(3) PVC pipe and fittings shall be tested in accordance with the requirements of ASTM D635-68 to determine that the pipe and fittings are self-extinguishing.
(4) ABS pipe and fittings shall be tested in accordance with the requirements of ASTM D635-68 to determine that the pipe and fittings are slow-burning.
(1) All pipe shall be marked on two sides, 180 degrees apart, in letters not less than 3/16 inches high, in contrasting color, and shall consist of the manufacturer's name or trade mark, nominal pipe size, the symbol PVC or ABS, the type designation (I or II) Schedule 40 CS272-65 for PVC, or CS270-65 for ABS and the symbol of the National Sanitation Foundation Drain Waste Vent spaced at intervals of not more than two (2) feet.
(2) Fittings shall be marked on the body or hub on opposite sides. The marking shall consist of the manufacturer's name or trade mark and the symbol PVC or ABS and the type designation (I or II) for PVC and the symbol of the National Sanitation Foundation Drain Waste Vent.
(3) In addition to the markings as required under §19-01(f)(1) and (2), all pipe and fittings shall bear the labeling required under the conditions of approval by the Board and Section P102.2b of RS16 of the Building Code of the City of New York.