Section 806 Decorative Materials and Trim
The following requirements shall apply to all occupancies:
- Furnishings or decorative materials of an explosive or highly flammable character shall not be used.
- Fire-retardant coatings in existing buildings shall be maintained so as to retain the effectiveness of the treatment under service conditions encountered in actual use.
- Furnishings or other objects shall not be placed to obstruct exits, access thereto, egress therefrom or visibility thereof.
- The permissible amount of decorative vegetation and noncombustible decorative materials shall not be limited.
Fixed or movable walls and partitions, paneling, wall pads and crash pads applied structurally or for decoration, acoustical correction, surface insulation or other purposes shall be considered to be interior finish, shall comply with Section 803 and shall not be considered to be decorative materials or furnishings.
- In auditoriums in Group A, the permissible amount of curtains, draperies, fabric hangings and similar combustible decorative materials suspended from walls or ceilings shall not exceed 75 percent of the aggregate wall area where the building is equipped throughout with an approved automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1, and where the material is installed in accordance with Section 803.15 of this code.
- In Group R-2 dormitories, within sleeping units and dwelling units, the permissible amount of curtains, draperies, fabric hangings and similar decorative materials suspended from walls or ceiling shall not exceed 50 percent of the aggregate wall areas where the building is equipped throughout with an approved automatic sprinkler system installed in accordance with Section 903.3.1.
- In Group B and M occupancies, the amount of combustible fabric partitions suspended from the ceiling and not supported by the floor shall comply with Section 806.4 and shall not be limited.
- The 10-percent limit shall not apply to curtains, draperies, fabric hangings and similar combustible decorative materials used as window coverings.
Interior floor-wall base that is 6 inches (152 mm) or less in height shall be tested in accordance with Section 804.2 and shall be not less than Class II. Where a Class I floor finish is required, the floor-wall base shall be Class I.