Deck ledger connections to band joists shall be in accordance with this section, Tables R507.2 and R507.2.1, and Figures R507.2.1(1) and R507.2.1(2). For other grades, species, connection details and loading conditions, deck ledger connections shall be designed in accordance with Section R301.
DECK LEDGER CONNECTION TO BAND JOISTa, b (Deck live load = 40 psf, deck dead load = 10 psf, snow load ≤ 40 psf)
|CONNECTION DETAILS||JOIST SPAN|
|6' and less||6'1" to 8'||8'1" to 10'||10'1" to 12'||12'1" to 14'||14'1" to 16'||16'1" to 18'|
|On-center spacing of fasteners|
|1/2-inch diameter lag screw with 1/2-inch maximum sheathingc, d||30||23||18||15||13||11||10|
|1/2-inch diameter bolt with 1/2-inch maximum sheathingd||36||36||34||29||24||21||19|
|1/2-inch diameter bolt with 1-inch maximum sheathinge||36||36||29||24||21||18||16|
For SI: 1 inch = 25.4 mm, 1 foot = 304.8 mm, 1 pound per square foot = 0.0479 kPa.
- Ledgers shall be flashed in accordance with Section R703.4 to prevent water from contacting the house band joist.
- Snow load shall not be assumed to act concurrently with live load.
- The tip of the lag screw shall fully extend beyond the inside face of the band joist.
- Sheathing shall be wood structural panel or solid sawn lumber.
- Sheathing shall be permitted to be wood structural panel, gypsum board, fiberboard, lumber or foam sheathing. Up to 1/2-inch thickness of stacked washers shall be permitted to substitute for up to 1/2 inch of allowable sheathing thickness where combined with wood structural panel or lumber sheathing.
Deck ledgers installed in accordance with Section R507.2 shall be a minimum 2-inch by 8-inch (51 mm by 203 mm) nominal, pressure-preservative-treated southern pine, incised pressure-preservative-treated Hem-fir, or approved, naturally durable, No. 2 grade or better lumber. Deck ledgers installed in accordance with Section R507.2 shall not support concentrated loads from beams or girders. Deck ledgers shall not be supported on stone or masonry veneer.
PLACEMENT OF LAG SCREWS AND BOLTS IN DECK LEDGERS AND BAND JOISTS
|MINIMUM END AND EDGE DISTANCES AND SPACING BETWEEN ROWS|
|TOP EDGE||BOTTOM EDGE||ENDS||ROW SPACING|
|Ledgera||2 inchesd||3/4 inch||2 inchesb||15/8 inchesb|
|Band Joistc||3/4 inch||2 inches||2 inchesb||15/8 inchesb|
For SI: 1 inch = 25.4 mm.
- Lag screws or bolts shall be staggered from the top to the bottom along the horizontal run of the deck ledger in accordance with Figure R507.2.1(1).
- Maximum 5 inches.
- For engineered rim joists, the manufacturer's recommendations shall govern.
- The minimum distance from bottom row of lag screws or bolts to the top edge of the ledger shall be in accordance with Figure R507.2.1(1).