Where more than one exit or exit access doorway is required, the exit access shall be arranged such that dead ends do not exceed the limits specified in Table 1104.18. In Group I-2, in smoke compartments containing patient sleeping rooms and treatment rooms, dead end corridors shall be in accordance with Section 1105.5.6.
Exception: A dead-end passageway or corridor shall not be limited in length where the length of the dead-end passageway or corridor is less than 2.5 times the least width of the dead-end passageway or corridor.
COMMON PATH, DEAD-END AND TRAVEL DISTANCE LIMITS (by occupancy)
|OCCUPANCY||COMMON PATH LIMIT||DEAD-END LIMIT||TRAVEL DISTANCE LIMIT|
|Unsprinklered (feet)||Sprinklered (feet)||Unsprinklered (feet)||Sprinklered (feet)||Unsprinklered (feet)||Sprinklered (feet)|
|Group F-1, S-1d, h||75||100||50||50||200||250|
|Group F-2, S-2d, h||75||100||50||50||300||400|
|Group I-2||Notes e, g||Notes e, g||Note f||Note f||150||200c|
|Group I-4 (Day care centers)||NR||NR||20||20||200||250|
|Group M (Covered or open mall)||75||100||50||50||200||400|
|Group M (Mercantile)||75||100||50||50||200||250|
|Group R-1 (Hotels)||75||75||50||50||200||250|
|Group R-2 (Apartments)||75||125||50||50||200||250|
|Group R-3 (One- and two-family)||NR||NR||NR||NR||NR||NR|
|Group R-4 (Residential care/assisted living)||NR||NR||NR||NR||NR||NR|
NR = No requirements.
For SI: 1 foot = 304.8 mm, 1 square foot = 0.0929 m2.
- 20 feet for common path serving 50 or more persons; 75 feet for common path serving less than 50 persons.
- See Section 1029.9.5 for dead-end aisles in Group A occupancies.
- This dimension is for the total travel distance, assuming incremental portions have fully utilized their allowable maximums. For travel distance within the room, and from the room exit access door to the exit, see the appropriate occupancy chapter.
- See the California Building Code for special requirements on spacing of doors in aircraft hangars.
- In Group I-2, separation of exit access doors within a care recipient sleeping room, or any suite that includes care recipient sleeping rooms, shall comply with Section 1105.5.7.
- In Group I-2, in smoke compartments containing care recipient sleeping rooms and treatment rooms, dead-end corridors shall comply with Section 1105.5.6.
- In Group I-2 Condition 2, care recipient sleeping rooms, or any suite that includes care recipient sleeping rooms, shall comply with Section 1105.6.
- Where a tenant space in Group B, S and U occupancies has an occupant load of not more than 30, the length of a common path of egress travel shall not be more than 100 feet.