Covered walkways shall have a clear height of not less than 8 feet (2438 mm) as measured from the floor surface to the canopy overhead. Adequate lighting shall be provided at all times. Covered walkways shall be designed to support all imposed loads. In no case shall the design live load be less than 150 psf (7.2 kN/m2) for the entire structure.
Roofs and supporting structures of covered walkways for new, light-frame construction
not exceeding two stories
above grade plane
are permitted to be designed for a live load
of 75 psf (3.6kN/m2
) or the loads
imposed on them, whichever is greater. In lieu of such designs, the roof and supporting structure of a covered walkway are permitted to be constructed as follows:
1. Footings shall be continuous 2-inch by 6-inch (51 mm by 152 mm) members.
2. Posts not less than 4 inches by 6 inches (102 mm by 152 mm) shall be provided on both sides of the roof and spaced not more than 12 feet (3658 mm) on center.
3. Stringers not less than 4 inches by 12 inches (102 mm by 305 mm) shall be placed on edge upon the posts.
4. Joists resting on the stringers shall be not less than 2 inches by 8 inches (51 mm by 203 mm) and shall be spaced not more than 2 feet (610 mm) on center.
5. The deck shall be planks not less than 2 inches (51 mm) thick or wood structural panels
with an exterior exposure durability classification not less than 23
inch (18.3 mm) thick nailed to the joists.
6. Each post shall be knee braced to joists and stringers by members not less than 2-inch by 4-inch (51 mm by 102 mm); 4 feet (1219 mm) in length.
7. A curb which is not less than 2-inch by 4-inch (51 mm by 102 mm) shall be set on edge along the outside edge of the deck.