// CODE SNIPPET
1804.2.2 Controlled Fills
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
Fills shall be considered as satisfactory bearing material of the applicable class when placed in accordance with the following procedures and subject to the special inspection provisions of Chapter 17:
- Area to be filled shall be stripped of all organic materials, rubbish and debris.
- Fill shall not be placed when frozen or on frozen or saturated subgrade.
- The special inspection agency shall approve the subgrade prior to fill placement.
- Fill material shall consist of gravel, crushed rock, recycled concrete aggregate, well-graded sand or a mixture of these, or equivalent materials with a maximum particle size of 3 inches (76.2 mm ) and a maximum of 10 percent passing the #200 sieve.
- Fill shall be placed and compacted in lifts, not exceeding 12 inches (305 mm), at its optimum moisture content, plus or minus 2 percent, and to not less than a density of 95 percent of the optimum density as determined by ASTM D 1557.
- Fill density shall be verified by in-place tests made on each lift.
Provided the capacity of the underlying soil is not exceeded, the allowable bearing pressure of controlled fill shall be limited to:
- 6 tons per square foot (766 kPa) for gravel and crushed rock.
- 3 tons per square foot (383 kPa) for recycled concrete aggregate and well-graded sand.