[F] 414.2 Control Areas
|STORY||PERCENTAGE OF THE MAXIMUM ALLOWABLE|
QUANTITY PER CONTROL AREAa
|NUMBER OF CONTROL|
AREAS PER STORY
|FIRE-RESISTANCE RATING FOR|
FIRE BARRIERS IN HOURSb
|Higher than 9||5||1||2|
|Lower than 2||Not Allowed||Not Allowed||Not Allowed|
- Percentages shall be of the maximum allowable quantity per control area shown in Tables 307.1(1) and 307.1(2), with all increases allowed in the notes to those tables.
- Separation shall include fire barriers and horizontal assemblies as necessary to provide separation from other portions of the building.
The required fire-resistance rating for fire barriers shall be in accordance with Table 414.2.2. The floor assembly of the control area and the construction supporting the floor of the control area shall have a fire-resistance rating of not less than 2 hours.
Exception: The floor assembly of the control area and the construction supporting the floor of the control area are allowed to be 1-hour fire-resistance-rated in buildings of Types IIA, IIIA, IV and VA construction, provided that both of the following conditions exist:
MAXIMUM ALLOWABLE QUANTITY PER INDOOR AND OUTDOOR CONTROL AREA IN GROUP M AND S OCCUPANCIES NONFLAMMABLE SOLIDS AND NONFLAMMABLE AND NONCOMBUSTIBLE LIQUIDSd, e, f
|CONDITION||MAXIMUM ALLOWABLE QUANTITY PER CONTROL AREA|
|A. Health-hazard materials—nonflammable and noncombustible solids and liquids|
|1. Corrosivesb, c||Not Applicable||9,750||975|
|2. Highly toxics||Not Applicable||20b, c||2b, c|
|3. Toxicsb, c||Not Applicable||1,000||100|
|B. Physical-hazard materials—nonflammable and noncombustible solids and liquids|
|1. Oxidizersb, c||4||Not Allowed||Not Allowed|
|1||18,000i, j||1,800i, j|
|2. Unstable (reactives)b, c||4||Not Allowed||Not Allowed|
|1||Not Limited||Not Limited|
|3. Water reactives||3b, c||550||55|
|1||Not Limited||Not Limited|
For SI: 1 pound = 0.454 kg, 1 gallon = 3.785 L.
- Hazard categories are as specified in the International Fire Code.
- Maximum allowable quantities shall be increased 100 percent in buildings that are sprinklered in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1. Where Note c also applies, the increase for both notes shall be applied accumulatively.
- Maximum allowable quantities shall be increased 100 percent where stored in approved storage cabinets, in accordance with the International Fire Code. Where Note b also applies, the increase for both notes shall be applied accumulatively.
- See Table 414.2.2 for design and number of control areas.
- Allowable quantities for other hazardous material categories shall be in accordance with Section 307.
- Maximum quantities shall be increased 100 percent in outdoor control areas.
- Maximum amounts shall be increased to 2,250 pounds where individual packages are in the original sealed containers from the manufacturer or packager and do not exceed 10 pounds each.
- Maximum amounts shall be increased to 4,500 pounds where individual packages are in the original sealed containers from the manufacturer or packager and do not exceed 10 pounds each.
- The permitted quantities shall not be limited in a building equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1.
- Quantities are unlimited in an outdoor control area.
MAXIMUM ALLOWABLE QUANTITY OF FLAMMABLE AND COMBUSTIBLE LIQUIDS IN WHOLESALE AND RETAIL SALES OCCUPANCIES PER CONTROL AREAa
|TYPE OF LIQUID||MAXIMUM ALLOWABLE QUANTITY PER CONTROL AREA (gallons)|
|Sprinklered in accordance with note|
b densities and arrangements
|Sprinklered in accordance with Tables 5704.3.6.3(4) through |
5704.3.6.3(8) and 5704.3.7.5.1 of the International Fire Code
|Class IB, IC, II and IIIA||7,500c||15,000c||1,600|
For SI: 1 foot = 304.8 mm, 1 square foot = 0.0929 m2, 1 gallon = 3.785 L, 1 gallon per minute per square foot = 40.75 L/min/m2.
- Control areas shall be separated from each other by not less than a 1-hour fire barrier wall.
- For uncartoned commodities on shelves 6 feet or less in height where the ceiling height does not exceed 18 feet, quantities are those permitted with a minimum sprinkler design density of Ordinary Hazard Group 2.
- For cartoned, palletized or racked commodities where storage is 4 feet 6 inches or less in height and where the ceiling height does not exceed 18 feet, quantities are those permitted with a minimum sprinkler design density of 0.21 gallon per minute per square foot over the most remote 1,500-square-foot area.
- Where wholesale and retail sales or storage areas exceed 50,000 square feet in area, the maximum allowable quantities are allowed to be increased by 2 percent for each 1,000 square feet of area in excess of 50,000 square feet, up to not more than 100 percent of the table amounts. A control area separation is not required. The cumulative amounts, including amounts attained by having an additional control area, shall not exceed 30,000 gallons.