Commencing January 1, 2007, except as provided in Section AV100.5, whenever a building permit is issued for construction of a new swimming pool or spa, or any building permit is issued for remodeling of an existing pool or spa, at a private, single-family home, it shall be equipped with at least one of the following seven drowning prevention safety features:
- The pool shall be isolated from access to a home by an enclosure that meets the requirements of Section AV100.3.
- The pool shall incorporate removable mesh pool fencing that meets American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) Specifications F2286 standards in conjunction with a gate that is self-closing and self-latching and can accommodate a key lockable device.
- The pool shall be equipped with an approved safety pool cover that meets all requirements of ASTM Specifications F1346.
- The residence shall be equipped with exit alarms on those doors providing direct access to the pool.
- All doors providing direct access from the home to the swimming pool shall be equipped with a self-closing, self-latching device with a release mechanism placed no lower than 54 inches (1372 mm) above the floor.
- Swimming pool alarms that, when placed in pools, will sound upon detection of accidental or unauthorized entrance into the water. These pool alarms shall meet and be independently certified to the ASTM Standard F2208 "Standards Specification for Pool Alarms," which includes surface motion, pressure, sonar, laser and infrared type alarms. For purposes of this article, "swimming pool alarms" shall not include swimming protection alarm devices designed for individual use, such as an alarm attached to a child that sounds when the child exceeds a certain distance or becomes submerged in water.
- Other means of protection, if the degree of protection afforded is equal to or greater than that afforded by any of the devices set forth in Items 1—4, and have been independently verified by an approved testing laboratory as meeting standards for those devices established by the ASTM or the American Society of Testing Mechanical Engineers (ASME).
Prior to the issuance of any final approval for the completion of permitted construction or remodeling work, the local building code official shall inspect the drowning safety prevention devices required by this act, and if no violations are found shall give final approval.
Authority: Health and Safety Code Section 18942(b)
Reference: Health and Safety Code Section 115922 AB 3305 (Statutes 1996, c.925); AB 2977 (Statutes 2006, c.926); AB 382 (Statutes 2007, c.596); AB 2697 (Statutes 2012, c. 770)