Corridors shall be fire-resistance-rated in accordance with Table 1020.1. The corridor walls required to be fire-resistance-rated shall comply with Section 708 for fire partitions.
Exceptions:TABLE 1020.1 CORRIDOR FIRE-RESISTANCE RATING
- A fire-resistance rating is not required for corridors in an occupancy in Group E where each room that is used for instruction has not less than one door opening directly to the exterior and rooms for assembly purposes have not less than one-half of the required means of egress doors opening directly to the exterior. Exterior doors specified in this exception are required to be at ground level.
- A fire-resistance rating is not required for corridors contained within a dwelling unit or sleeping unit in an occupancy in Groups I-1 and R.
- A fire-resistance rating is not required for corridors in open parking garages.
- A fire-resistance rating is not required for corridors in an occupancy in Group B that is a space requiring only a single means of egress complying with Section 1006.2.
- Corridors adjacent to the exterior walls of buildings shall be permitted to have unprotected openings on unrated exterior walls where unrated walls are permitted by Table 602 and unprotected openings are permitted by Table 705.8.
|OCCUPANCY|| OCCUPANT |
| REQUIRED FIRE-RESISTANCE |
| Without |
|With sprinkler systemc|
|H-1, H-2, H-3||All||Not Permitted||1|
|H-4, H-5||Greater than 30||Not Permitted||1|
|A, B, E, F, M, S, U||Greater than 30||1||0|
|R||Greater than 10||Not Permitted||0.5|
|I-2a, I-4||All||Not Permitted||0|
|I-1, I-3||All||Not Permitted||1b|
- For requirements for occupancies in Group I-2, see Sections 407.2 and 407.3.
- For a reduction in the fire-resistance rating for occupancies in Group I-3, see Section 408.8.
- Buildings equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1 or 903.3.1.2 where allowed.