G2422.1 (411.1) Connecting Appliances
Appliances shall be connected to the piping system by one of the following:
- Rigid metallic pipe and fittings.
- Corrugated stainless steel tubing (CSST) where installed in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.
- Listed and labeled appliance connectors in compliance with ANSI Z21.24/CSA 6.10 and installed in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions and located entirely in the same room as the appliance.
- Listed and labeled quick-disconnect devices used in conjunction with listed and labeled appliance connectors.
- Listed and labeled convenience outlets used in conjunction with listed and labeled appliance connectors.
- Listed and labeled outdoor appliance connectors in compliance with ANSI Z21.75/CSA 6.27 and installed in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.
- Listed outdoor gas hose connectors in compliance with ANSI Z21.54 used to connect portable outdoor appliances. The gas hose connection shall be made only in the outdoor area where the appliance is used, and shall be to the gas piping supply at an appliance shutoff valve, a listed quick-disconnect device or listed gas convenience outlet.
Connectors shall have an overall length not to exceed 6 feet (1829 mm). Measurement shall be made along the centerline of the connector. Only one connector shall be used for each appliance.
Exception: Rigid metallic piping used to connect an appliance to the piping system shall be permitted to have a total length greater than 6 feet (1829 mm), provided that the connecting pipe is sized as part of the piping system in accordance with Section G2413 and the location of the appliance shutoff valve complies with Section G2420.5.
- Connectors constructed of materials allowed for piping systems in accordance with Section G2414 shall be permitted to pass through walls, floors, partitions and ceilings where installed in accordance with Section G2420.5.2 or G2420.5.3.
- Rigid steel pipe connectors shall be permitted to extend through openings in appliance housings.
- Fireplace inserts that are factory equipped with grommets, sleeves or other means of protection in accordance with the listing of the appliance.
- Semirigid tubing and listed connectors shall be permitted to extend through an opening in an appliance housing, cabinet or casing where the tubing or connector is protected against damage.