// CODE SNIPPET
1705.3 Concrete Construction
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
Exception: Special inspections and tests shall not be required for:
- Isolated spread concrete footings of buildings three stories or less above grade plane that are fully supported on earth or rock.
- 2.1. The footings support walls of light-frame construction.
- 2.2. The footings are designed in accordance with Table 1809.7.
- 2.3. The structural design of the footing is based on a specified compressive strength, f 'c, not more than 2,500 pounds per square inch (psi) (17.2 MPa), regardless of the compressive strength specified in the approved construction documents or used in the footing construction.
- Nonstructural concrete slabs supported directly on the ground, including prestressed slabs on grade, where the effective prestress in the concrete is less than 150 psi (1.03 MPa).
- Concrete foundation walls constructed in accordance with Table 1807.1.6.2.
- Concrete patios, driveways and sidewalks, on grade.
|PERIODIC SPECIAL INSPECTION||REFERENCED STANDARDa||IBC REFERENCE|
|1. Inspect reinforcement, including prestressing tendons, and
|—||X||ACI 318: Ch. 20, 25.2, 25.3, 26.6.1-26.6.3||1908.4|
|2. Reinforcing bar welding:|
||X||ACI 318: 26.6.4||—|
|3. Inspect anchors cast in concrete.||—||X||ACI 318: 17.8.2||—|
|4. Inspect anchors post-installed in hardened concrete members.b|
||X||X||ACI 318: 18.104.22.168||—|
||ACI 318: 17.8.2|
|5. Verify use of required design mix.||—||X||ACI 318: Ch. 19, 26.4.3, 26.4.4||1904.1, 1904.2,
|6. Prior to concrete placement, fabricate specimens for strength tests, perform slump and air content tests, and determine the temperature of the concrete.||X||—||ASTM C172
ACI 318: 26.5, 26.12
|7. Inspect concrete and shotcrete placement for proper application techniques.||X||—||ACI 318: 26.5||1908.6, 1908.7, 1908.8|
|8. Verify maintenance of specified curing temperature and techniques.||—||X||ACI 318: 26.5.3-26.5.5||1908.9|
|9. Inspect prestressed concrete for:|
||X||—||ACI 318: 26.10||—|
|10. Inspect erection of precast concrete members.||—||X||ACI 318: 26.9||—|
|11. Verify in-situ concrete strength, prior to stressing of tendons in post-tensioned concrete and prior to removal of shores and forms from beams and structural slabs.||—||X||ACI 318: 26.11.2||—|
|12. Inspect formwork for shape, location and dimensions of the concrete member being formed.||—||X||ACI 318: 22.214.171.124(b)||—|
For SI: 1 inch = 25.4 mm.
- Where applicable, see Section 1705.12, Special inspections for seismic resistance.
- Specific requirements for special inspection shall be included in the research report for the anchor issued by an approved source in accordance with 17.8.2 in ACI 318, or other qualification procedures. Where specific requirements are not provided, special inspection requirements shall be specified by the registered design professional and shall be approved by the building official prior to the commencement of the work.
In the absence of sufficient data or documentation providing evidence of conformance to quality standards for materials in Chapters 19 and 20 of ACI 318, the building official shall require testing of materials in accordance with the appropriate standards and criteria for the material in Chapters 19 and 20 of ACI 318.