1224.33.4 Comprehensive Emergency Medical Service
When 24-hour comprehensive emergency service is to be provided, an Emergency Department shall be provided. At a minimum, all the provisions of Stand-by Emergency Service under Section 1224.33.2, the provisions of Basic Emergency Service under Section 1224.33.3, and all of the following shall be provided:
In addition to the requirements of Section 1220.127.116.11, the triage area shall include triage station(s) with the following minimum requirements:
- 100 square feet (9.29 m2) minimum clear floor area for each private triage room and 80 square feet (7.4 m2) minimum clear floor area for each station in open-bay triage areas.
- Provisions for patient privacy.
- Handwashing station in each triage room. In open-bay triage areas, one handwashing station shall be provided for every four triage stations.
- Immediate access to emergency call and code call stations.
- Medical gas outlets for triage areas in compliance with Table 118.104.22.168.
A fast-track area may be used for treating patients presenting simple and less serious conditions. If a fast-track area is provided, it shall meet the following requirements:
- Space requirements — each fast-track station shall have a minimum 100 square feet (9.29 m2) of clear floor area.
- Each station shall include a handwashing station, work/documentation counter, examination table light.
- Storage areas for supplies and medication.
- A separate procedure room may be provided. It shall have a minimum clear floor area of 120 square feet (11.15 m2).
A pre-screening area may be used prior to admission to the Emergency Department. If pre-screening is provided, each station must have a minimum of 80 square feet (7.4 m2) of clear floor area, a handwashing station, documentation counter, and a storage cabinet. Pre-screening stations, whether private rooms or open bays, are considered a part of the waiting area and must meet the same ventilation requirements.
Provisions shall be made to accommodate on-call sleeping room(s) for physicians and/or medical staff within the Emergency Department.