5.504.4.5 Composite Wood Products
Hardwood plywood, particleboard and medium density fiberboard composite wood products used on the interior or exterior of the building shall meet the requirements for formaldehyde as specified in ARB's Air Toxics Control Measure (ATCM) for Composite Wood (17 CCR 93120 et seq.) Those materials not exempted under the ATCM must meet the specified emission limits, as shown in Table 5.504.4.5.
FORMALDEHYDE LIMITS1 Maximum Formaldehyde Emissions in Parts per Million
|Hardwood plywood veneer core||0.05|
|Hardwood plywood composite core||0.05|
|Medium density fiberboard||0.11|
|Thin medium density fiberboard2||0.13|
- Values in this table are derived from those specified by the California Air Resources Board, Air Toxics Control Measure for Composite Wood as tested in accordance with ASTM E1333. For additional information, see California Code of Regulations, Title 17, Sections 93120 through 93120.12.
- Thin medium density fiberboard has a maximum thickness of 5/16 inch (8 mm).
Verification of compliance with this section shall be provided as requested by the enforcing agency. Documentation shall include at least one of the following:
- Product certifications and specifications.
- Chain of custody certifications.
- Product labeled and invoiced as meeting the Composite Wood Products regulation (see CCR, Title 17, Section 93120, et seq.).
- Exterior grade products marked as meeting the PS-1 or PS-2 standards of the Engineered Wood Association, the Australian AS/NZS 2269 or European 636 3S standards.
- Other methods acceptable to the enforcing agency.