// CODE SNIPPET
8.6.6 Communicating Space
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
Unless prohibited by Chapters 11 through 43, unenclosed floor openings forming a communicating space between floor levels shall be permitted, provided that the following conditions are met:
- The communicating space does not connect more than three contiguous stories.
- The lowest or next-to-lowest story within the communicating space is a street floor.
- The entire floor area of the communicating space is open and unobstructed, such that a fire in any part of the space will be readily obvious to the occupants of the space prior to the time it becomes an occupant hazard.
- The communicating space is separated from the remainder of the building by fire barriers with not less than a 1-hour fire resistance rating, unless one of the following is met:
- In buildings protected throughout by an approved automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 9.7, a smoke barrier in accordance with Section 8.5 shall be permitted to serve as the separation required by 8.6.6 (4).
- The requirement of 8.6.6(4) shall not apply to fully sprinklered residential housing units of detention and correctional occupancies in accordance with 22.3.1(2) and 184.108.40.206(2).
- The communicating space has ordinary hazard contents protected throughout by an approved automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 9.7 or has only low hazard contents. (See 6.2.2.)
- Egress capacity is sufficient to allow all the occupants of all levels within the communicating space to simultaneously egress the communicating space by considering it as a single floor area in determining the required egress capacity.
- * Each occupant within the communicating space has access to not less than one exit without having to traverse another story within the communicating space.
- Each occupant not in the communicating space has access to not less than one exit without having to enter the communicating space.
Related Code Sections
1104.4.2 Refrigeration, Communicating Spaces
Where an evaporator or condenser is located in an air duct system, the volume of the smallest, enclosed occupied space served by the duct system ...
Mechanical Code 2018 of Kansas > 11 Refrigeration > 1104 System Application Requirements > 1104.4 Volume Calculations > 1104.4.2 Communicating Spaces
8.6.6 Features of Fire Protection, Communicating Space
Unless prohibited by Chapters 11 through 43, unenclosed floor openings forming a communicating space between floor levels shall be permitted ...
Life Safety Code 2018 of Kansas > 8 Features of Fire Protection > 8.6 Vertical Openings > 8.6.6 Communicating Space
220.127.116.11.5 Design Approaches,
protection —Where openings are not protected, calculations shall include the sprinklers in the room plus two sprinklers in the communicating space nearest ...
Standard for the Installation of Sprinkler Systems 2016 of Kansas > 11 Design Approaches > 11.2 Occupancy Hazard Fire Control Approach for Spray Sprinklers > 11.2.3 Water Demand Requirements — Hydraulic Calculation Methods > 18.104.22.168 Room Design Method > 22.214.171.124.5
126.96.36.199.1 Plans and Calculations, Room Design Method
Where the design is based on the room design method, the calculation shall be based on the room and communicating space, if any ...
Standard for the Installation of Sprinkler Systems 2016 of Kansas > 23 Plans and Calculations > 23.4 Hydraulic Calculation Procedures > 23.4.4* Calculation Procedure > 188.8.131.52* > 184.108.40.206.1 Room Design Method
304.5.3.2 General Regulations, Combining Spaces in Different Stories
The volumes of spaces in different stories shall be considered to be communicating spaces where such spaces are connected by one or more permanent ...
Fuel Gas Code 2018 of Kansas > 3 General Regulations > 304 (IFGS) Combustion, Ventilation and Dilution Air > 304.5 Indoor Combustion Air > 304.5.3 Indoor Opening Size and Location > 304.5.3.2 Combining Spaces in Different Stories