// CODE SNIPPET
504.10 Common Exhaust Systems for Clothes Dryers Located in Multistory Structures
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
- The shaft in which the duct is installed shall be constructed and fire-resistance rated as required by the International Building Code.
- Dampers shall be prohibited in the exhaust duct. Penetrations of the shaft and ductwork shall be protected in accordance with Section 607.5.5, Exception 2.
- Rigid metal ductwork shall be installed within the shaft to convey the exhaust. The ductwork shall be constructed of sheet steel having a minimum thickness of 0.0187 inch (0.4712 mm) (No. 26 gage) and in accordance with SMACNA Duct Construction Standards.
- The ductwork within the shaft shall be designed and installed without offsets.
- The exhaust fan motor design shall be in accordance with Section 503.2.
- The exhaust fan motor shall be located outside of the airstream.
- The exhaust fan shall run continuously, and shall be connected to a standby power source.
- Exhaust fan operation shall be monitored in an approved location and shall initiate an audible or visual signal when the fan is not in operation.
- Makeup air shall be provided for the exhaust system.
- A cleanout opening shall be located at the base of the shaft to provide access to the duct to allow for cleaning and inspection. The finished opening shall be not less than 12 inches by 12 inches (305 mm by 305 mm).
- Screens shall not be installed at the termination.
- The common multistory duct system shall serve only clothes dryers and shall be independent of other exhaust systems.
Related Code Sections
504.10 Exhaust Systems, Common Exhaust Systems for Clothes Dryers Located in Multistory Structures
Where a common multistory duct system is designed and installed to convey exhaust from multiple clothes dryers, the construction of the system shall ...
Mechanical Code 2018 of Maryland > 5 Exhaust Systems > 504 Clothes Dryer Exhaust > 504.10 Common Exhaust Systems for Clothes Dryers Located in Multistory Structures
403.5 Light, Ventilation and Occupancy Limitations, Clothes Dryer Exhaust
Clothes dryer exhaust systems shall be independent of all other systems and shall be exhausted outside the structure in accordance ...
Property Maintenance Code 2012 of Maryland > 4 Light, Ventilation and Occupancy Limitations > 403 Ventilation > 403.5 Clothes Dryer Exhaust