5.410.2 Commissioning. [N] New Buildings 10,000 Square Feet and Over
Commissioning requirements shall include:
- Owner's or owner representative's project requirements.
- Basis of design.
- Commissioning measures shown in the construction documents.
- Commissioning plan.
- Functional performance testing.
- Documentation and training.
- Commissioning report.
- Unconditioned warehouses of any size.
- Areas less than 10,000 square feet used for offices or other conditioned accessory spaces within unconditioned warehouses.
- Tenant improvements less than 10,000 square feet as described in Section 303.1.1.
- Open parking garages of any size, or open parking garage areas, of any size, within a structure.
- IAS AC 476 is an accreditation criteria for organizations providing training and/or certification of commissioning personnel. AC 476 is available to the Authority Having Jurisdiction as a reference for qualifications of commissioning personnel. AC 476 does not certify individuals to conduct functional performance tests or to adjust and balance systems.
- Functional performance testing for heating, ventilation, air conditioning systems and lighting controls must be performed in compliance with the California Energy Code.
[N] The expectations and requirements of the building appropriate to its phase shall be documented before the design phase of the project begins. This documentation shall include the following:
- Environmental and sustainability goals.
- Building sustainable goals.
- Indoor environmental quality requirements.
- Project program, including facility functions and hours of operation, and need for after hours operation.
- Equipment and systems expectations.
- Building occupant and operation and maintenance (O&M) personnel expectations.
[N] A written explanation of how the design of the building systems meets the OPR shall be completed at the design phase of the building project. The Basis of Design document shall cover the following systems:
- Renewable energy systems.
- Landscape irrigation systems.
- Water reuse systems.
[N] Prior to permit issuance a commissioning plan shall be completed to document how the project will be commissioned. The commissioning plan shall include the following:
- General project information.
- Commissioning goals.
- Commissioning team information.
- Commissioning process activities, schedules and responsibilities. Plans for the completion of commissioning shall be included.
[N] Documentation of the operational aspects of the building shall be completed within the systems manual and delivered to the building owner or representative. The systems manual shall include the following:
- Site information, including facility description, history and current requirements.
- Site contact information.
- Basic operations and maintenance, including general site operating procedures, basic troubleshooting, recommended maintenance requirements, site events log.
- Major systems.
- Site equipment inventory and maintenance notes.
- A copy of verifications required by the enforcing agency or this code.
- Other resources and documentation, if applicable.
[N] A program for training of the appropriate maintenance staff for each equipment type and/or system shall be developed and documented in the commissioning report and shall include the following:
- System/equipment overview (what it is, what it does and with what other systems and/or equipment it interfaces).
- Review and demonstration of servicing/preventive maintenance.
- Review of the information in the systems manual.
- Review of the record drawings on the system/ equipment.