[NY] 1206.9 Commissioning, Decommissioning, Operation and Maintenance
Energy storage system commissioning of newly installed energy storage systems, and existing energy storage systems that have been retrofitted, replaced or previously decommissioned and are returning to service, shall be conducted prior to the energy storage system being placed in service, in accordance with a commissioning plan that has been approved prior to initiating commissioning. The commissioning plan shall include the following:
- A narrative description of the activities that will be accomplished during each phase of commissioning including the personnel intended to accomplish each of the activities.
- A listing of the specific energy storage system and associated components, controls and safety related devices to be tested, a description of the tests to be performed and the functions to be tested.
- Conditions under which all testing will be performed, which are representative of the conditions during normal operation of the system.
- Documentation of the owner's project requirements and the basis of design necessary to understand the installation and operation of the energy storage system.
- Verification that required equipment and systems are installed in accordance with the approved plans and specifications.
- Integrated testing for all fire and safety systems.
- Testing for any required thermal management, ventilation or exhaust systems associated with the energy storage system installation.
- Preparation and delivery of operation and maintenance documentation.
- Training of facility operating and maintenance staff.
- Identification and documentation of the requirements for maintaining system performance to meet the original design intent during the operation phase.
- Identification and documentation of personnel who are qualified to service, maintain and decommission the energy storage system, and respond to incidents involving the energy storage system, including documentation that such service has been contracted for.
- A decommissioning plan in accordance with Section 1206.9.3.
Exception: Energy storage system commissioning shall not be required for lead-acid and nickel-cadmium battery systems at facilities under the exclusive control of communications utilities that comply with NFPA 76 and operate at less than 50 VAC and 60 VDC. However, a decommissioning plan shall be provided and maintained where required by the authority having jurisdiction.
An Operation and Maintenance Manual (O&M) shall be provided to both the energy storage system owner or their authorized agent and to the energy storage system operator before the energy storage system is put into operation. The energy storage system shall be operated and maintained in accordance with the manual. A copy of the manual shall be retained at an approved onsite location and be available to the fire code official. The O&M shall include the following:
- Manufacturer's O&M for the entire energy storage system or for each component of the system requiring maintenance, that clearly identifies the required routine maintenance actions.
- Name, address and phone number of a service agency that has been contracted to service the energy storage system and its associated safety systems.
- Maintenance and calibration information, including wiring diagrams, control drawings, schematics, system programming instructions and control sequence descriptions, for all energy storage systems controls.
- Desired or field-determined control set points that are permanently recorded on control drawings at control devices or, for digital control systems, in system programming instructions.
- A schedule for inspecting and recalibrating all energy storage system controls.
- A service record log form that lists the schedule for all required servicing and maintenance actions and space for logging such actions that are completed over time and retained on site.
- Inspection and testing records shall be maintained in the O&M.
The authority having jurisdiction shall be notified prior to energy storage system decommissioning. Decommissioning or removal of the energy storage system from service, and from the facility in which it is located, shall be performed in accordance with the decommissioning plan. The plan shall include details on providing a safe and orderly shutdown of the energy storage system that includes the following:
- A narrative description of the activities to be accomplished for removing the energy storage system from service, and from the facility in which it is located.
- A listing of any contingencies for removing an intact operational energy storage system from service, and for removing an energy storage system from service that has been damaged by a fire or other event.