Commercial cooking equipment that produce grease laden vapors shall be provided with a Type I Hood, in accordance with the California Mechanical Code, and an automatic fire extinguishing system that is listed and labeled for its intended use as follows:
- Wet chemical extinguishing system, complying with UL 300.
- Carbon dioxide extinguishing systems.
- Automatic fire sprinkler systems.
Exception: Public schools kitchens, without deep-fat fryers, shall be upgraded to a UL 300 compliant system during state-funded modernization projects that are under the jurisdiction of the Division of the State Architect.
A manual actuation device shall be located at or near a means of egress from the cooking area not less than 10 feet (3048 mm) and not more than 20 feet (6096 mm) from the kitchen exhaust system. The manual actuation device shall be installed not more than 48 inches (1200 mm) nor less than 42 inches (1067 mm) above the floor and shall clearly identify the hazard protected. The manual actuation shall require a maximum force of 40 pounds (178 N) and a maximum movement of 14 inches (356 mm) to actuate the fire suppression system.
Exception: Automatic sprinkler systems shall not be required to be equipped with manual actuation means.
Portable fire extinguishers shall be provided and maintained in accordance with California Code of Regulations, Title 19, Division 1, Chapter 3.
[California Code of Regulations, Title 19, Division 1, §573(a) through (c)] Fire Extinguisher Size and Placement for Commercial Cooking Operations.
- Fire extinguishers with a Class K rating shall be provided for hazards where there is a potential for fires involving combustible cooking media (vegetable or animal oils and fats).
- Maximum travel distance shall not exceed 30 feet (9.15 m) from the hazard to the extinguishers.
- Additional fire extinguishers, required for the control of other classes of fires, shall be provided for commercial cooking areas as required by California Code of Regulations, Title 19, Division 1, Section 567.
Where hazard areas include deep fat fryers, listed Class K portable fire extinguishers shall be provided in accordance with California Code of Regulations, Title 19, Division 1, Chapter 3 and as follows:
- For up to four fryers having a maximum cooking medium capacity of 80 pounds (36.3 kg) each: one Class K portable fire extinguisher of a minimum 1.5-gallon (6 L) capacity.
- For every additional group of four fryers having a maximum cooking medium capacity of 80 pounds (36.3 kg) each: one additional Class K portable fire extinguisher of a minimum 1.5-gallon (6 L) capacity shall be provided.
- For individual fryers exceeding 6 square feet (0.55 m2) in surface area: Class K portable fire extinguishers shall be installed in accordance with the extinguisher manufacturer's recommendations.
Fusible links and automatic sprinkler heads shall be replaced at least annually, and other protection devices shall be serviced or replaced in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.
Exception: Frangible bulbs are not required to be replaced annually.