// CODE SNIPPET
5705.3.6 Cleaning With Flammable and Combustible Liquids
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
- In a room or building, Section 5705.3.7; or
- In a parts cleaner listed, labeled and approved for the purpose, Section 5705.3.6.2.
Exception: Materials used in commercial and industrial process-related cleaning operations in accordance with other provisions of this code and not involving facilities maintenance cleaning operations.
Solvents shall be classified and shall be compatible with the machines within which they are used.
The quantity of solvent shall not exceed the listed design capacity of the machine for the solvent being used with the machine.
Solvent quantities shall be limited as follows:
- Machines without remote solvent reservoirs shall be limited to quantities set forth in Section 5705.3.5.
- Machines with remote solvent reservoirs using Class I liquids shall be limited to quantities set forth in Section 5705.3.5.
- Machines with remote solvent reservoirs using Class II liquids shall be limited to 35 gallons (132 L) per machine. The total quantities shall not exceed an aggregate of 240 gallons (908 L) per control area in buildings not equipped throughout with an approved automatic sprinkler system and an aggregate of 480 gallons (1817 L) per control area in buildings equipped throughout with an approved automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1.
- Machines with remote solvent reservoirs using Class IIIA liquids shall be limited to 80 gallons (303 L) per machine.
Work areas of machines with remote solvent reservoirs shall not be used for immersion soaking of parts.
Machines shall be located in areas adequately ventilated to prevent accumulation of vapors.
Machines shall be installed in accordance with their listings.