// CODE SNIPPET
23.6.3 Class N Shared Pathways
Go To Full Code Chapter
18.104.22.168 Level 1 and Level 2
22.214.171.124* Deployment Plan
The deployment plan shall identify how and where each piece of equipment is connected.
126.96.36.199.3 Equipment Location
188.8.131.52 Change Control Plan
Configuration upgrades and updates shall be governed by a change control plan that determines the policy and procedure of the change and ensures that all documentation is correspondingly updated.
184.108.40.206 Management Organization
An organization shall be established and maintained to manage the life safety network and shall perform the following:
Other service personnel, even when certified to service a specific system (i.e., fire alarm or MNS), shall be authorized and managed by this organization to ensure any outages of any system are planned, managed, and documented and appropriate steps are taken during outages to provide alternate protection of life and property.
220.127.116.11 Network Design Analysis
The analysis shall be performed to determine and document communications capability as follows:
- Calculation of minimum required bandwidth such that all life safety systems can be guaranteed to operate simultaneously and within required time limits
- Total bandwidth provided by the network
- Future bandwidth requirements
- Method of providing and maintaining the prioritization of life safety traffic over non-life safety traffic
The analysis shall determine and document the power distribution capability as follows:
- The methods provided to maintain power to all shared pathway equipment
- A calculation of power requirements of all connected equipment
- Secondary power capacities provided to maintain all life safety equipment with minimum operational capacity in accordance with 10.6.7.2.1.2
- Methods to disengage any non-life safety equipment in the event of emergency operation if required to support the minimum operational capacity requirements
18.104.22.168 Maintenance Plan
Written procedures shall be presented in maintenance plans to govern the following:
- Physical access to all parts of the Class N network equipment (i.e., switches, ports, server, controllers, devices, or components)
- Electronic access to all parts of the Class N network (i.e., passwords, addresses)
- *Service outage impairment process with notices of impairment and contingency plans for affected systems
- Upgrade procedures
- Change control procedures, with consideration given to require an updated risk analysis if necessary
- Prioritization and/or segregation configuration information for life safety traffic
- Maintenance and testing plans to ensure the minimum operational capacity with respect to secondary power is maintained
- Other service, maintenance, or reconfiguration plans for any connected equipment
22.214.171.124* Network Risk Analysis for Class N
Each application of a Class N deployment shall be specific to the nature and anticipated risks of each facility for which it is designed.
The risk analysis shall consider the following types of potential events, which are not all-inclusive but reflect the general categories that shall be considered in the risk analysis:
- Natural hazards — geological events
- Natural hazards — meteorological events
- Human caused — accidental events
- Human caused — intentional events
- Technological — caused events
Related Code Sections
23.6.3 Protected Premises Fire Alarm Systems, Class N Shared Pathways
Class N pathways shall be required to use shared pathway Level 3 as specified in 12.5.4 except as permitted by 126.96.36.199 through 188.8.131.52 ...
23.6.3 Protected Premises Alarm and Signaling Systems, Class N Shared Pathways
Class N pathways shall be required to use shared pathway Level 3 as specified in 12.5.4 except as permitted by 184.108.40.206 ...
220.127.116.11* Protected Premises Alarm and Signaling Systems, Network Risk Analysis for Class N
Each application of a Class N deployment shall be specific to the nature and anticipated risks of each facility for which it is designed ...
18.104.22.168 Protected Premises Fire Alarm Systems, Deployment Plan
All equipment connected to shared pathways shall be documented in the deployment plan ...
22.214.171.124 Protected Premises Fire Alarm Systems, Level 1 and Level 2
Shared pathways Levels 1 and 2 shall be permitted subject to a thorough written analysis of the risks, the maintenance plans, roles ...