Children's playground structures shall be constructed of noncombustible materials or of combustible materials that comply with the following:
- Fire-retardant-treated wood.
- Light-transmitting plastics complying with Section 2606.
- Foam plastics (including the pipe foam used in soft-contained play equipment structures) having a maximum heat-release rate not greater than 100 kilowatts when tested in accordance with UL 1975.
- Aluminum composite material (ACM) meeting the requirements of Class A interior finish in accordance with Chapter 8 when tested as an assembly in the maximum thickness intended for use.
- Textiles and films complying with the flame propagation performance criteria contained in NFPA 701.
- Plastic materials used to construct rigid components of soft-contained play equipment structures (such as tubes, windows, panels, junction boxes, pipes, slides and decks) exhibiting a peak rate of heat release not exceeding 400 kW/m2 when tested in accordance with ASTM E 1354 at an incident heat flux of 50 kW/m2 in the horizontal orientation at a thickness of 1/4 inch (6 mm).
- Ball pool balls, used in soft-contained play equipment structures, having a maximum heat-release rate not greater than 100 kilowatts when tested in accordance with UL 1975. The minimum specimen test size shall be 36 inches by 36 inches (914 mm by 914 mm) by an average of 21 inches (533 mm) deep, and the balls shall be held in a box constructed of galvanized steel poultry netting wire mesh.
- Foam plastics shall be covered by a fabric, coating or film meeting the flame propagation performance criteria of NFPA 701.
- The floor covering placed under the children's playground structure shall exhibit a Class I interior floor finish classification, as described in Section 804, when tested in accordance with NFPA 253.
Children's playground structures located within the mall shall be provided with the same level of approved fire suppression and detection devices required for kiosks and similar structures.
Children's playground structures shall not exceed 300 square feet (28 m2) in area.