220.127.116.11 Car Doors and Gates
(a) Horizontally sliding collapsible gates shall conform to the following:
(1) They shall not be power operated, except as permitted by 18.104.22.168.2.
(2) They shall not be used with power-operated vertically sliding hoistway doors.
(3) When fully closed (extended position), they shall reject a ball 113 mm (4.5 in.) in diameter.
(4) They shall have at least every fourth vertical member guided at the top and every second vertical member guided at the bottom.
(5) Collapsible gate handles shall be provided with finger guards.
(b) Vertically sliding gates shall conform to the following:
(1) They shall be the balanced counterweighted type or the biparting counterbalanced type.
(2) They shall reject a ball 50 mm (2 in.) in diameter.
(3) Balanced counterweighted gates shall be permitted to be either single- or multisection and shall be permitted to slide either up or down to open.
(4) They shall be permitted to be either manually or power operated.