Article 460 Capacitors
Surge capacitors or capacitors included as a component part of other apparatus and conforming with the requirements of such apparatus are excluded from these requirements.
- The disconnecting means shall open all ungrounded conductors simultaneously.
- The disconnecting means shall be permitted to disconnect the capacitor from the line as a regular operating procedure.
- The rating of the disconnecting means shall not be less than 135 percent of the rated current of the capacitor.
The effect of the capacitor shall be disregarded in determining the motor circuit conductor rating in accordance with 430.22.
- Carrying continuously not less than 135 percent of the rated current of the capacitor installation
- Interrupting the maximum continuous load current of each capacitor, capacitor bank, or capacitor installation that will be switched as a unit
- Withstanding the maximum inrush current, including contributions from adjacent capacitor installations
- Carrying currents due to faults on capacitor side of switch
- Mechanically sequenced isolating and bypass switches
- Switching procedure prominently displayed at the switching location