Only one exit shall be required in buildings as described below:
1. Buildings described in Table 1018.2, provided that the building has not more than one level below the first story above grade plane.
2. Buildings of Group R-3 occupancy.
3. Single-level buildings with the occupied space at the level of exit discharge provided that the story or space complies with Section 1014.1 as a space with one means of egress.
4. Buildings of Group R-2 occupancy where all of the following conditions are met:
4.1. The building does not exceed four stories;
4.4. The building does not exceed 2,500 square feet (232 m2) per story; 4.5. Each dwelling unit has at least one window facing the street, or facing a lawful yard with open, unobstructed, and direct access to the street;
4.6. The stairway extends to the roof surface through a stairway bulkhead complying with Section 1509.2 provided the roof has a slope not steeper than 20 degrees. In lieu of the stairway bulkhead, the stair may be constructed against the street wall with one window facing the street at every landing and access to the roof is provided via a scuttle with a stationary, noncombustible access ladder;
4.7. The stairway is enclosed in two-hour fire-rated walls with all exit doors leading into the stairway having at least 11/2 hour fire-rating; and
4.8 The building shall be equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.2.
5. Buildings of Group R-2 occupancy of construction Type I or II not exceeding six stories and not exceeding 2,000 square feet (186 m2) per story.
|OCCUPANCY||MAXIMUM HEIGHT OF
(OR DWELLING UNITS) PER
|A, Bc, E, F, M, U||1 Story||50 occupants and 75 feet
|H-2, H-3||1 Story||3 occupants and 75 feet
|H-4, H-5, I, R||1 Story||10 occupants and 75 feet
|Sa||1 Story||30 occupants and 100 feet
|B, F, M, Sa||2 Stories||30 occupants and 75 feet
|R-2d, e||2 Stories||4 dwelling units and 50
feet travel distance
- For the required number of exits for open parking structures, see Section 1018.1.1.
- Buildings classified as Group R-2 equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1 or 903.3.1.2 and provided with emergency escape and rescue openings in accordance with Section 1025 shall have a maximum height of three stories above grade.
- Buildings equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1 with an occupancy in Group B shall have a maximum travel distance of 100 feet.
- Buildings classified as Group R-2 subject to Section 1018.2, Item 4.
- Buildings classified as Group R-2 subject to Section 1018.2, Item 5.