R501.7 Building Systems and Components
Thermal efficiency standards are set for the following building systems and components where new products are installed or replaced in existing buildings, and for which a permit must be obtained. New products shall meet the minimum efficiencies allowed by this code for the following systems and components:
- Heating, ventilating or air-conditioning systems;
- Service water or pool heating systems;
- Lighting systems; and
- Replacement fenestration.
- Where part of a functional unit is repaired or replaced. For example, replacement of an entire HVAC system is not required because a new compressor or other part does not meet code when installed with an older system.
- AHRI data
- Accredited laboratory
- Manufacturer's letter
- Letter from registered P.E. State of Florida
- Where existing components are utilized with a replacement system, such as air distribution system ducts or electrical wiring for lights, such components or controls need not meet code if meeting code would require that component's replacement.
- Replacement equipment that would require extensive revisions to other systems, equipment or elements of a building where such replacement is a like-for-like replacement, such as through-the-wall condensing units and PTACs, chillers and cooling towers in confined spaces.