102.11 Building Department Jurisdictional Limitations
A municipal, township, or county building department that has been certified by the board of building standards, pursuant to Section 103.2, shall enforce provisions of the rules of the board and of Chapters 3781. and 3791. of the Revised Code, relating to construction, arrangement, and the erection of buildings or parts thereof as defined in the rules of the board in accordance with the certification except as follows:
- Fire. The state fire marshal or fire chief of municipal corporations or townships, having fire departments, shall enforce all provisions of the rules of the board relating to fire prevention.
- Health. The department of health, or the boards of health of city or general health districts, the division of industrial compliance of the department of commerce, or the departments of building inspection of municipal corporations, townships, or counties shall enforce such provisions relating to sanitary construction.
- Sewerage and drainage system. In accordance with Section 3781.03 of the Revised Code, the department of the city engineer, in cities having such departments, the boards of health of health districts, or the sewer purveyor, as appropriate, shall have complete supervision and regulation of the entire sewerage and drainage system of the jurisdiction, including the building sewer and all laterals draining into the street sewers. Such department or agency shall have control and supervision of the installation and construction of all drains and sewers that become a part of the sewerage system of the jurisdiction and shall issue all the necessary permits and licenses for the construction and installation of all building sewers and of all other lateral drains that empty into the main sewers. Such department or agency shall keep a permanent record of the installation and location of every drain and sewerage system of the city.
- Power generation. Structures directly related to the operation of a generating plant or major utility facilities regulated by the power siting board. As a condition of the power siting board's approval, the building department may be requested to review and inspect these structures for compliance with the rules of the board of building standards. However, the building department has no enforcement authority.
- State projects. Certification does not confer any jurisdiction to a certified building department to regulate:
- The construction of buildings by the state of Ohio or on land owned by the state of Ohio including, but is not limited to, its agencies, authorities, boards, commissions, administrative departments, instrumentalities, community or technical college districts, but does not include other political subdivisions.
- Park districts created pursuant to Chapter 1545. of the Revised Code.
- The construction of buildings or structures within the scope of the building code on the premises of, and directly related to the operation of, natural gas liquids fractionation or natural gas processing facilities.