// CODE SNIPPET
Section 3105 Awnings and Canopies
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
Awnings and canopies shall be designed and constructed to withstand wind or other lateral loads and live loads as required by Chapter 16 with due allowance for shape, open construction and similar features that relieve the pressures or loads. Structural members shall be protected to prevent deterioration. Awnings shall have frames of noncombustible material, fire-retardant-treated wood, heavy timber complying with Section 2304.11, or 1-hour construction with combustible or noncombustible covers and shall be either fixed, retractable, folding or collapsible.
- The fire propagation performance criteria of Test Method 1 or Test Method 2, as appropriate, of NFPA 701.
- Has a flame spread index not greater than 25 when tested in accordance with ASTM E84 or UL 723.
- 3.1. During the 40 kW exposure, flames shall not spread to the ceiling.
- 3.2. Flashover, as defined in NFPA 286, shall not occur.
- 3.3. The flame shall not spread to the outer extremity of the sample on any wall or ceiling.
- 3.4. The peak heat release rate throughout the test shall not exceed 800 kW.