// CODE SNIPPET
449.4 Automatic Sprinkler and Extinguishing Systems
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
For public libraries constructed with funds awarded under the California Reading and Literacy Improvement and Public Library Construction and Renovation Bond Act of 2000:
- Fire sprinkler system requirement. All libraries funded for new construction, including additions, shall have automatic fire sprinkler systems installed.
- Fire sprinkler system requirement for renovations of existing facilities. If there is no automatic fire sprinkler system in the existing facility, grant recipients shall be required to install a fire sprinkler system throughout the existing facility.
- Fire sprinkler system types. The grant recipient may choose, on approval by the local fire authority, from wet-pipe, dry-pipe or pre-action systems, utilizing listed standard, early suppression fast response (ESFR), or on/off type sprinkler heads.
- Book return rooms and slots. Book return rooms with slots in exterior walls shall have an automatic sprinkler head and be of approved fire-resistive construction. Book return slots and book drops shall have an additional automatic sprinkler head when shielded from the room sprinkler head.
- System monitoring requirement. All fire protection systems shall be monitored by a fire alarm supervising station in accordance with the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 72.
- Alternate fire-extinguishing systems for specialized areas. When approved by the fire authority having jurisdiction, other types of approved automatic fire-extinguishing systems may be utilized as an alternate to sprinklers in the following areas: rare book rooms, central computer rooms and telecommunication rooms.
- Automatic sprinkler system plan requirement. Fire sprinkler system drawings shall use the furniture plan as a background for coordination with furniture and book stack location and height.
Related Code Sections
449.4 Special Detailed Requirements Based on Use and Occupancy, Automatic Sprinkler and Extinguishing Systems
and Renovation Bond Act of 2000: Fire sprinkler system requirement. All libraries funded for new construction, including additions, shall have automatic ...
Los Angeles Building Code > 4 Special Detailed Requirements Based on Use and Occupancy > 449 Public Libraries [SL and SFM] > 449.4 Automatic Sprinkler and Extinguishing Systems
416.5 Special Detailed Requirements Based on Use and Occupancy, Fire Protection
An automatic sprinkler system or fire-extinguishing system shall be provided in all spray, dip and immersing spaces and storage rooms and shall ...
Los Angeles Building Code > 4 Special Detailed Requirements Based on Use and Occupancy > 416 Application of Flammable Finishes > 416.5 Fire Protection
914.9 Fire Protection Systems, Application of Flammable Finishes
An automatic sprinkler system or fire-extinguishing system shall be provided in all spray, dip and immersing spaces and storage rooms, and shall ...
Los Angeles Fire Code > 9 Fire Protection Systems > 914 Fire Protection Based on Special Detailed Requirements of Use and Occupancy > 914.9 Application of Flammable Finishes
513.3.1 Exhaust Systems, Automatic Sprinkler System
Simultaneous operation shall not be required where the one fixed pipe extinguishing system is an automatic sprinkler system. Where an automatic ...
Los Angeles Mechanical Code > 5 Exhaust Systems > 513.0 Fire-Extinguishing Equipment > 513.3 Simultaneous Operation > 513.3.1 Automatic Sprinkler System
6004.2.2.6 Highly Toxic and Toxic Materials, Gas Rooms
to an exhaust system. Gas rooms shall be equipped with an approved automatic sprinkler system. Alternative fire-extinguishing systems shall not be used ...
Los Angeles Fire Code > 60 Highly Toxic and Toxic Materials > 6004 Highly Toxic and Toxic Compressed Gases > 6004.2 Indoor Storage and Use > 6004.2.2 General Indoor Requirements > 6004.2.2.6 Gas Rooms