Airmoving systems supplying air in excess of 2000 cubic feet per minute (ft3/min) (0.9439 m3/s) to enclosed spaces within buildings shall be equipped with an automatic shutoff. Automatic shutoff shall be accomplished by interrupting the power source of the air-moving equipment upon detection of smoke in the main supply-air duct served by such equipment. Duct smoke detectors shall comply with UL 268A, shall be labeled by an approved agency, approved and listed by California State Fire Marshal, and shall be installed in accordance with the manufacturer's installation instructions. Such devices shall be compatible with the operating velocities, pressures, temperatures, and humidities of the system. Where fire-detection or alarm systems are provided for the building, the smoke detectors shall be supervised by such systems in an approved manner, and installed in accordance with NFPA 72 and the California Building and Fire Codes.
- Where the space supplied by the air-moving equipment is served by a total coverage smoke-detection system in accordance with the California Fire Code, interconnection to such system shall be permitted to be used to accomplish the required shutoff.
- Automatic shutoff is not required where occupied rooms served by the air-handling equipment have direct exit to the exterior and the travel distance does not exceed 100 feet (30480 mm).
- Automatic shutoff is not required for Group R, Division 3 and Group U Occupancies.
- Automatic shutoff is not required for approved smoke-control systems or where analysis demonstrates shutoff would create a greater hazard, such as shall be permitted to be encountered in air-moving equipment supplying specialized portions of Group H Occupancies. Such equipment shall be required to have smoke detection with remote indication and manual shutoff capability at an approved location.
- Smoke detectors that are factory installed in listed air-moving equipment shall be permitted to be used in lieu of smoke detectors installed in the main supply-air duct served by such equipment.