8.4.2 Automatic Receptacle Control
The following shall be automatically controlled:
- At least 50% of all 125 V, 15 and 20 amp receptacles in all private offices, conference rooms, rooms used primarily for printing and/or copying functions, break rooms, classrooms, and individual workstations.
- At least 25% of branch circuit feeders installed for modular furniture not shown on the construction documents.
This control shall function on
- a scheduled basis using a time-of-day operated control device that turns receptacles off at specific programmed times—an independent program schedule shall be provided for controlled areas of no more than 5000 ft2 and not more than one floor (the occupant shall be able to manually override the control device for up to two hours);
- an occupant sensor that shall turn receptacles off within 20 minutes of all occupants leaving a space; or
- an automated signal from another control or alarm system that shall turn receptacles off within 20 minutes after determining that the area is unoccupied.
All controlled receptacles shall be permanently marked to visually differentiate them from uncontrolled receptacles and are to be uniformly distributed throughout the space. Plug-in devices shall not be used to comply with Section 8.4.2.