505.2.2.2 Automatic Lighting Shutoff
- A scheduled basis, using time-of-day, with an independent program schedule that controls the interior lighting in areas that do not exceed 25,000 square feet (2323 m2) and are not more than one floor; or
- An occupant sensor that shall turn lighting off within 30 minutes of an occupant leaving a space; or
- A signal from another control or alarm system that indicates the area is unoccupied.
Exception: The following shall not require an automatic control device:
- Is readily accessible.
- Is located so that a person using the device can see the lights or the area controlled by that switch, or so that the area being lit is annunciated.
- Is manually operated.
- Allows the lighting to remain on for no more than 2 hours when an override is initiated.
- Controls an area not exceeding 5,000 square feet (465 m2).
- In malls and arcades, auditoriums, single-tenant retail spaces, industrial facilities and arenas, where captive-key override is utilized, override time shall be permitted to exceed 2 hours.
- In malls and arcades, auditoriums, single-tenant retail spaces, industrial facilities and arenas, the area controlled shall not exceed 20,000 square feet (1860 m2).
If an automatic time switch control device is installed in accordance with Section 505.2.2.2, Item 1, it shall incorporate an automatic holiday scheduling feature that turns off all loads for at least 24 hours, then resumes the normally scheduled operation.
Exception: Retail stores and associated malls, restaurants, grocery stores, places of religious worship and theaters.