// CODE SNIPPET
Section 404 Atriums
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
The floor of the atrium shall not be used for other than low fire hazard uses and only approved materials and decorations in accordance with the International Fire Code shall be used in the atrium space.
- That area of a building adjacent to or above the atrium need not be sprinklered provided that portion of the building is separated from the atrium portion by not less than 2-hour fire barriers constructed in accordance with Section 707 or horizontal assemblies constructed in accordance with Section 711, or both.
- Where the ceiling of the atrium is more than 55 feet (16 764 mm) above the floor, sprinkler protection at the ceiling of the atrium is not required.
A fire barrier is not required where a glass wall forming a smoke partition is provided. The glass wall shall comply with all of the following:
- Automatic sprinklers are provided along both sides of the separation wall and doors, or on the room side only if there is not a walkway on the atrium side. The sprinklers shall be located between 4 inches and 12 inches (102 mm and 305 mm) away from the glass and at intervals along the glass not greater than 6 feet (1829 mm). The sprinkler system shall be designed so that the entire surface of the glass is wet upon activation of the sprinkler system without obstruction;
- The glass wall shall be installed in a gasketed frame in a manner that the framing system deflects without breaking (loading) the glass before the sprinkler system operates; and
- Where glass doors are provided in the glass wall, they shall be either self-closing or automatic-closing.
- A fire barrier is not required where a glass-block wall assembly complying with Section 2110 and having a 3/4-hour fire protection rating is provided.
- A fire barrier is not required between the atrium and the adjoining spaces of up to three floors of the atrium provided that such spaces are accounted for in the design of the smoke control system.
- A fire barrier is not required between the atrium and the adjoining spaces where the atrium is not required to be provided with a smoke control system.
Equipment required to provide smoke control shall be provided with standby power in accordance with Section 909.11.
Related Code Sections
Section 404 Special Detailed Requirements Based on Occupancy and Use, Atriums
or structures containing vertical openings defined as "Atriums ...
Building Code 2018 of Illinois > 4 Special Detailed Requirements Based on Occupancy and Use > 404 Atriums
707.3.6 Fire and Smoke Protection Features, Atriums
The fire-resistance rating of the fire barrier separating atriums shall comply with Section 404.6 ...
Building Code 2018 of Illinois > 7 Fire and Smoke Protection Features > 707 Fire Barriers > 707.3 Fire-Resistance Rating > 707.3.6 Atriums
712.1.7 Fire and Smoke Protection Features, Atriums
In other than Group H occupancies, atriums complying with Section 404 shall be permitted ...
Building Code 2018 of Illinois > 7 Fire and Smoke Protection Features > 712 Vertical Openings > 712.1 General > 712.1.7 Atriums
907.2.13 Fire Protection and Life Safety Systems, Atriums Connecting More Than Two Stories
A fire alarm system shall be installed in occupancies with an atrium that connects more than two stories , with smoke detection installed ...
Building Code 2018 of Illinois > 9 Fire Protection and Life Safety Systems > 907 Fire Alarm and Detection Systems > 907.2 Where Required—New Buildings and Structures > 907.2.13 Atriums Connecting More Than Two Stories
404.1 Special Detailed Requirements Based on Occupancy and Use, General
or structures containing vertical openings defined as "Atriums." ...
Building Code 2018 of Illinois > 4 Special Detailed Requirements Based on Occupancy and Use > 404 Atriums > 404.1 General