Wheelchair spaces complying with Section 11B-802.1 shall be provided in accordance with Table 11B-22.214.171.124.
|NUMBER OF SEATS||MINIMUM NUMBER OF REQUIRED WHEELCHAIR SPACES|
|4 to 25||1|
|26 to 50||2|
|51 to 150||4|
|151 to 300||5|
|301 to 500||6|
|501 to 5000||6, plus 1 for each 100, or fraction thereof, between 501 through 5000|
|5001 and over||46, plus 1 for each 200, or fraction thereof, over 5000|
In stadium-style movie theaters, the total number of wheelchair spaces required shall be determined in accordance with Table 11B-126.96.36.199. The required wheelchair spaces shall be located on risers or cross-aisles in the stadium section that satisfy at least one of the following criteria:
- Located within the rear 60 percent of the seats provided in the theater; or
- Located within the area of the theater in which the vertical viewing angles (as measured to the top of the screen) are from the 40th to the 100th percentile of vertical viewing angles for all seats as ranked from the seats in the first row (1st percentile) to seats in the back row (100th percentile).
In assembly areas, wheelchair spaces shall be provided in each specialty seating area that provides spectators with distinct services or amenities that generally are not available to other spectators. The number of wheelchair spaces provided in specialty seating areas shall be included in, rather than be in addition to, the total number of wheelchair spaces required by Table 11B-188.8.131.52.
Exception: In existing buildings and facilities, if it is not readily achievable for wheelchair spaces to be placed in each specialty seating area, those services or amenities shall be provided to individuals with disabilities, and their companions, at other designated accessible locations at no additional cost.
Wheelchair spaces shall provide lines of sight complying with Section 11B-802.2 and shall comply with Section 11B-221.2.3. In providing lines of sight, wheelchair spaces shall be dispersed. Wheelchair spaces shall provide spectators with choices of seating locations and viewing angles that are substantially equivalent to, or better than, the choices of seating locations and viewing angles available to all other spectators. When the number of wheelchair spaces required by Section 11B-221.2.1 has been met, further dispersion shall not be required. In stadiums, arenas and grandstands, wheelchair spaces shall be dispersed to all levels that include seating served by an accessible route.
Wheelchair spaces shall be dispersed horizontally. In assembly areas that have seating encircling, in whole or in part, a field of play or performance, wheelchair spaces shall be dispersed horizontally around the field of play or performance area.
- Horizontal dispersion shall not be required in assembly areas with 300 or fewer seats if the companion seats required by Section 11B-221.3 and wheelchair spaces are located within the 2nd or 3rd quartile of the total row length. Intermediate aisles shall be included in determining the total row length. If the row length in the 2nd and 3rd quartile of a row is insufficient to accommodate the required number of companion seats and wheelchair spaces, the additional companion seats and wheelchair spaces shall be permitted to be located in the 1st and 4th quartile of the row.
- In row seating, two wheelchair spaces shall be permitted to be located side-by-side.
Wheelchair spaces shall be dispersed vertically at varying distances from the screen, performance area, or playing field. In addition, wheelchair spaces shall be located in each balcony or mezzanine that is located on an accessible route.
- Vertical dispersion shall not be required in assembly areas with 300 or fewer seats if the wheelchair spaces provide viewing angles that are equivalent to, or better than, the average viewing angle provided in the facility.
- In bleachers, wheelchair spaces shall not be required to be provided in rows other than rows at points of entry to bleacher seating.
Exception: When an entire seating section is placed on temporary platforms or other movable structures in an area where fixed seating is not provided, in order to increase seating for an event, wheelchair spaces may be placed in that section.
At least 1 percent of the total number of seats, and no fewer than two, shall be semi-ambulant seats complying with Section 11B-802.5.