Section 1029 Assembly
Spaces under grandstands or bleachers shall be separated by fire barriers complying with Section 707 and horizontal assemblies complying with Section 711 with not less than 1-hour fire-resistance-rated construction.
The required capacity in inches (mm) of the aisles for assembly seating without smoke protection shall be not less than the occupant load served by the egress element in accordance with all of the following, as applicable:
- Not less than 0.3 inch (7.6 mm) of aisle capacity for each occupant served shall be provided on stepped aisles having riser heights 7 inches (178 mm) or less and tread depths 11 inches (279 mm) or greater, measured horizontally between tread nosings.
- Not less than 0.005 inch (0.127 mm) of additional aisle capacity for each occupant shall be provided for each 0.10 inch (2.5 mm) of riser height above 7 inches (178 mm).
- Where egress requires stepped aisle descent, not less than 0.075 inch (1.9 mm) of additional aisle capacity for each occupant shall be provided on those portions of aisle capacity that do not have a handrail within a horizontal distance of 30 inches (762 mm).
- Ramped aisles, where slopes are steeper than one unit vertical in 12 units horizontal (8-percent slope), shall have not less than 0.22 inch (5.6 mm) of clear aisle capacity for each occupant served. Level or ramped aisles, where slopes are not steeper than one unit vertical in 12 units horizontal (8-percent slope), shall have not less than 0.20 inch (5.1 mm) of clear aisle capacity for each occupant served.
The required capacity in inches (mm) of the aisle for smoke-protected assembly seating shall be not less than the occupant load served by the egress element multiplied by the appropriate factor in Table 1029.6.2. The total number of seats specified shall be those within the space exposed to the same smoke-protected environment. Interpolation is permitted between the specific values shown. A life safety evaluation, complying with NFPA 101, shall be done for a facility utilizing the reduced width requirements of Table 1029.6.2 for smoke-protected assembly seating.
|TOTAL NUMBER OF SEATS IN
|INCHES OF CAPACITY PER SEAT SERVED|
|Stepped aisles with
handrails within 30 inches
|Stepped aisles without
handrails within 30 inches
|Level aisles or ramped aisles
not steeper than 1 in 10 in slope
|Ramped aisles steeper
than 1 in 10 in slope
|Equal to or less than 5,000||0.200||0.250||0.150||0.165|
|Equal to or greater than 25,000||0.060||0.075||0.044||0.048|
For SI: 1 inch = 25.4 mm.
Exception: A roof canopy in an outdoor stadium shall be permitted to be less than 15 feet (4572 mm) above the highest aisle or aisle accessway provided that there are no objects less than 80 inches (2032 mm) above the highest aisle or aisle accessway.
Enclosed areas with walls and ceilings in buildings or structures containing smoke-protected assembly seating shall be protected with an approved automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1.
- The floor area used for contests, performances or entertainment provided that the roof construction is more than 50 feet (15 240 mm) above the floor level and the use is restricted to low fire hazard uses.
- Press boxes and storage facilities less than 1,000 square feet (93 m2) in area.
- Outdoor seating facilities where seating and the means of egress in the seating area are essentially open to the outside.
In open-air assembly seating, the required capacity in inches (mm) of aisles shall be not less than the total occupant load served by the egress element multiplied by 0.08 (2.0 mm) where egress is by stepped aisle and multiplied by 0.06 (1.52 mm) where egress is by level aisles and ramped aisles.
Exception: The required capacity in inches (mm) of aisles shall be permitted to comply with Section 1029.6.2 for the number of seats in the open-air assembly seating where Section 1029.6.2 permits less capacity.
The exit access travel distance shall comply with Section 1017. Where aisles are provided for seating, the distance shall be measured along the aisles and aisle accessways without travel over or on the seats.
- In facilities with open-air assembly seating of Type I or II construction, the total exit access travel distance shall not be limited.
Where one of the two paths of travel is across the aisle through a row of seats to another aisle, there shall be not more than 24 seats between the two aisles, and the minimum clear width between rows for the row between the two aisles shall be 12 inches (305 mm) plus 0.6 inch (15.2 mm) for each additional seat above seven in the row between aisles.
Exception: For smoke-protected or open-air assembly seating there shall be not more than 40 seats between the two aisles and the minimum clear width shall be 12 inches (305 mm) plus 0.3 inch (7.6 mm) for each additional seat.
The minimum clear width for aisles shall comply with one of the following: